Hi everyone. (Long, sorry)

Introduce yourself here, a bit about you and your interests.

Moderator: Moderator Team

magic_flapjack
New member - welcome them!

Hi everyone. (Long, sorry)

Post by magic_flapjack »

Hiya all.

Apologies this is gonna be a lengthy one so bare with me.

Just looking to introduce myself, my name is Joe, I'm 22 and my whole life I've experienced difficulties with seemingly-normal aspects of living which I've always chalked down to a various different things, the result of which has been crippling social anxiety from a young age that affects pretty much everything I do.

It has only been in the last few months that I became aware of the full range of symptoms of Dyspraxia and after speaking to a friend who has a diagnosis I found that the daily hardships she faces were pretty much identical the ones I put up with. I don't yet have a diagnosis but have put the wheels in motion for getting one (contacting my GP).

I suppose the purpose of this post is to vent or make my experiences known to people I know should fully understand? Just feeling completely overwhelmed at the moment.

1. Following directions/instructions: If someone asks me to perform a task and lists the various stages I find that I either don't seem to process what I'm being told from the get-go, or shortly after they have finished telling me what to do I forget what I've been told. Its as if everything gets scrambled up as soon as they start speaking.

2. Actually hearing what people are saying: I find that I really struggle sometimes to acknowledge what I'm being told, especially if there is noise in the background such as in a busy environment. This leads to me having to ask the person to repeat what they have said, sometimes several times.

3. Difficulty walking/standing: I lose my balance a lot when walking and end up twisting my ankle. I also have quite poor posture, but I am 6ft 4, so this could partially be explained by my height I suppose. Going back to the anxiety I experience - how I think I look when I'm walking has led to me getting really worked up if I'm walking alone past or in front of a group of people, I start to question whether I'm taking too-little or too-big a step, or that I'm not walking in a straight line (which is also something I seem to struggle to do).

4. Telling anecdotes: This is something I find incredibly hard, be it because the parts of the story get jumbled up or because I physically start to stutter.

5. Housework: I have always experienced issues with doing household chores, be it the physical act of things like hoovering (its as if my hands don't work sometimes) or the thought/planning that goes into cleaning and tidying - I get lost or distracted if I try to do things step-by-step.

6. General clumsiness/lack of coordination: Probably the most prevalent. I'm forever knocking things over, tripping up etc. I sometimes have difficulty with things like opening doors, which I can't really explain.

Do the things I've described above ring any bells with anyone?

Again apologies for this being so long-winded, this is the first time I've put anything of any length regarding the issue into writing. I really appreciate anyone taking the time to read this.

Thanks xx
AnimalMad
New member - welcome them!

Re: Hi everyone. (Long, sorry)

Post by AnimalMad »

Hi Joe, no need to apologise :), I can imagine that this is a lot to process and so you need a place to vent :)

Contacting your GP was a great step in the right direction! Some of those points do ring bells with me personally, some of them I haven't struggled with so much but I guess everyone's different and it could very well by dyspraxia (although I'm not a medical professional so this isn't an official diagnosis by any means :lol: ). Whatever the outcome of the diagnosis is I hope it leads you to good methods of managing the things you are struggling with and will lead to you feeling more confident in yourself.