Hello all - and help with being organised??

Introduce yourself here, a bit about you and your interests.

Moderator: Moderator Team

bamboozled
New member - welcome them!

Hello all - and help with being organised??

Post by bamboozled »

Hi everyone. I'm 44 years old and have recently started to wonder whether I'm dyspraxic. I think I might have inadvertently masked some of the physical symptoms by doing yoga regularly since I was 19 - but I'm still fairly clumsy, legs covered in bruises etc. The most distressing symptoms for me are the ones relating to organisation and time management: I'm always rushing, always on the verge of being late, a naturally untidy and chaotic person who hates mess and chaos... I recently retrained as a speech and language therapist (inspired by my lovely 6 year old daughter who has Down's syndrome) and was lucky enough to be offered freelance work as a paediatric SALT before I finished my degree - but I'm really stressing myself out wondering whether I'm up to the job in terms of organising myself, my work space, my papers, all the bits and bobs I use in therapy... I also really need to drive for this role, and due partly to Covid (and partly to me putting it off!) I'm trying (for the third time) to learn to drive, at the same time as learning to do my job. My brain is very tired! What I'm really interested to know is:
1. Those people that have gone down the diagnosis route - did you feel it was worthwhile?
2. Any suggestions of how to work on being tidier, more organised, less beset by chaos on all sides?? I'm tempted by this course: https://learndobecome.com/stepprogram - we don't have tonnes of cash at the moment, but I would really love to change...
Tom fod
Administrator

Re: Hello all - and help with being organised??

Post by Tom fod »

bamboozled wrote: Sat Oct 09, 2021 9:15 pm Hi everyone. I'm 44 years old and have recently started to wonder whether I'm dyspraxic. I think I might have inadvertently masked some of the physical symptoms by doing yoga regularly since I was 19 - but I'm still fairly clumsy, legs covered in bruises etc. The most distressing symptoms for me are the ones relating to organisation and time management: I'm always rushing, always on the verge of being late, a naturally untidy and chaotic person who hates mess and chaos... I recently retrained as a speech and language therapist (inspired by my lovely 6 year old daughter who has Down's syndrome) and was lucky enough to be offered freelance work as a paediatric SALT before I finished my degree - but I'm really stressing myself out wondering whether I'm up to the job in terms of organising myself, my work space, my papers, all the bits and bobs I use in therapy... I also really need to drive for this role, and due partly to Covid (and partly to me putting it off!) I'm trying (for the third time) to learn to drive, at the same time as learning to do my job. My brain is very tired! What I'm really interested to know is:
1. Those people that have gone down the diagnosis route - did you feel it was worthwhile?
2. Any suggestions of how to work on being tidier, more organised, less beset by chaos on all sides?? I'm tempted by this course: https://learndobecome.com/stepprogram - we don't have tonnes of cash at the moment, but I would really love to change...
Hi and welcome,

Very few adults conform to all the typical traits and yes Yoga will have helped you overcome some of the physical traits

For the driving, is learning in/driving an automatic a possible option for you?

Have you discussed your difficulties/struggles with anyone. If you're self-employed Access to Work are still an option. You can find them via Direct Gov or through Job Centre +

Obtaining a diagnosis as an adult is so often difficult as there generally is very little provision for adults. In terms of compelling an employer to provide reasonable adjustments it can be helpful but if an employer is rubbish at supporting/developing you then you may be better finding one who values you!

I've encountered Dyspraxics working in Speech and Language Therapy before so you're not alone! Try to be as kind and patient with yourself as you are with your daughter. The associated panic/anxiety we have with dyspraxia rarely helps.

There are various resources / online courses for organising oneself but look for strategies that will work well for you.
Tom
Moderator/Administrator

With a foot full of bullets I tried to run faster but I just hobbled on to the next disaster.
(from Peter and the Test Tube Babies, Foot Full of Bullets)
Marie
New member - welcome them!

Post by Marie »

A couple of years ago I discovered the Bullet Journal Method which combines list making with planning.

There is a book explaining the method but there are also lots of videos on YouTube which explain the method without having to pay for the book.

A lot of the videos on YouTube are about ‘pretty planning’ which is nice but for me that detracts from the functionality of bullet journaling.

It works for me as I’ve been a compulsive list maker since my teens. It’s pretty flexible too so you can tailor the method to your own needs.

https://youtu.be/fm15cmYU0IM
FrankieSoup
Regular Poster

Post by FrankieSoup »

I use a bullet journal (when I remember!)

I used it faithfully for about a year and a half but then just sort of got out of the habit. I’m trying to start again though :)

I do like having a week long plan up on the wall too - it means I can just glance over and don’t have to hold the information in mead while I think of stuff.