What a long road....

Introduce yourself here, a bit about you and your interests.

Moderator: Moderator Team

Julie Upfield
New member - welcome them!

What a long road....

Post by Julie Upfield »

Hi anyone and everyone......
Just a quick hello while I root around the forum...
I'm sixty and not very impressed with getting more and more 'disabled'
I have just received a diagnosis of dyspraxia with sensory difficulties...
One thing I would like to explore as it seems to make perfect sense now.... I am over sensitive to just about everything ๐Ÿ˜‚ ๐Ÿ˜‚ ๐Ÿ˜‚
From food to others moods, to local and general anesthesia, indeed I have just discovered I have a variant that puts me at risk for malignant hyperthermia. It just seems sensible that somehow this is all connected..... Any thoughts anyone?
I like to think that I'm a positive and optimistic, bit mad, essentially honest and caring type of person.... That really can't quite understand that the whole world doesn't feel the same ๐Ÿ˜‚ ๐Ÿ˜‚ ๐Ÿ˜‚
Tom fod
Administrator

Re: What a long road....

Post by Tom fod »

It's a difficult condition to live with. Often it's accompanied by other conditions making it even more confusing to know just what can be directly or even indirectly blamed on Dyspraxia.

Please be careful about what you read online, there was a scare story early in 2020 suggesting we all needed to immediately shield. Medical News Today should have been shut down then!

Malignant Hyperthermia, while not something to ever treat lightly, has never come to my attention as being a condition associated with dyspraxia.
Julie Upfield

Post by Julie Upfield »

Oh gosh... Can't believe most things you read online.... No I wouldn't think that MA would be connected just it's something else I may be oversensitive to. So looking at it in the 'round' if you like.
I've fought against what I now know is dyspraxia all my life, trying to make myself work as other people do. It's only now that I can't cope with the physical that I am ready to admit to myself that, as usual I've approached the whole thing backwards ๐Ÿ˜‚ ๐Ÿ˜‚ ๐Ÿ˜‚
Tom fod
Administrator

Post by Tom fod »

hi Julie

I think there's definitely a predisposition for dyspraxics to work ourselves very hard to try to mask our condition from others. Sadly it's not always sustainable and we're not always go at recognising when we need to take a break.

My go to analogy is that I liken dyspraxia to my living with a pesky and mischievous Goblin alter ego. He likes to sow confusion and throw spanners into the workings of my plans, make me forget what I need to say or do at critical moments. We have an uneasy truce, most of the time I can outwit him with patience humour and good grace but some days he gets the upper hand and I just want to strangle the little blighter!
Tom
Moderator/Administrator

With a foot full of bullets I tried to run faster but I just hobbled on to the next disaster.
(from Peter and the Test Tube Babies, Foot Full of Bullets)
Julie Upfield

Post by Julie Upfield »

That made me smile.....I wouldn't want to be any different dispute my efforts in the past 'to fit in'....... Or try to justify those crazy things that just happen, dispite my very best efforts... Like trying to carry 2 drinks from the bar and ending up on the floor dress round my neck covered in alcohol.... In fits of stitches... Because you really do have to be able to laugh at yourself.... Gosh I've got some stories to tell.... Mmm maybe a comedy club open night
Tom fod
Administrator

Post by Tom fod »

It can get a bit tiresome and the humour of of can wear thin but it keeps life interesting!

There are dome stand up acts who are Dyspraxic. Notably Harriet Kemsley and Don Biswas
Tom
Moderator/Administrator

With a foot full of bullets I tried to run faster but I just hobbled on to the next disaster.
(from Peter and the Test Tube Babies, Foot Full of Bullets)