How did you obtain professional confirmation of your Dyspraxia

Getting assessed for your dyspraxia, getting help, disability allowance etc.

Moderator: Moderator Team

Tom fod
Administrator

How did you obtain professional confirmation of your Dyspraxia

Post by Tom fod »

As an Adult How did you obtain professional confirmation of your Dyspraxia?

As an aid to others please could you comment below

Please provide as much detail as possible, whilst still being mindful of not sharing too much personal and/or medical detail about yourself
location(s) (town/region)
whether this was privately funded from your own pocket,
via your GP/NHS Funded
or another route and/.or service provider, occupational health referral via an employer etc
Tom
Moderator/Administrator

With a foot full of bullets I tried to run faster but I just hobbled on to the next disaster.
(from Peter and the Test Tube Babies, Foot Full of Bullets)
ALADDIN
Power poster

Re: How did you obtain professional confirmation of your Dyspraxia

Post by ALADDIN »

Assessment through genius within, good report .

It is a shame my GP, would not accept the report .

I got the diagnosis in Southern England, in May 2012
Tom fod
Administrator

Post by Tom fod »

ALADDIN wrote: Tue Jun 14, 2022 9:44 am Assessment through genius within, good report .

Did your GP offer any indication of why they would not accept GW's report?
Tom
Moderator/Administrator

With a foot full of bullets I tried to run faster but I just hobbled on to the next disaster.
Andrew_S_Hatton
Power poster

Post by Andrew_S_Hatton »

1. When I realised I was not going to get a publicly funded assessment after about two years of attempts I took the advice of the Dyspraxia Foundation's Adult adviser and commissioned a report from a Chartered Psychologist who the DF's adviser personally recommended in 2002.

That only had limited value as although it was accepted in part by my employer their Occupational Physician queried it's validity and my NHS Genera; Practitioner did not accept it but instead referred me to an NHS consultant neurologist who said I could not be dyspraxic as I could navigate myself to and around the hospital where I saw him.

Another Medical Practitioner to whom I had been referred for suspected sleep apnoea - which was diagnosed - suggested she refer me for a second neurologists opinion, which she did - he also refused to diagnose relating the organisational problems I reported to a lack of night time oxygen.

For the next ten years I tried repeatedly to get a referral to an NHS clinical psychologist but my GP could not make such a referral, eventually I was referred to an NHS consultant psychiatrist, who would have been able to refer me to a clinical psychologist, but one Psychiatrist I saw refused to refer me to a psychologist not believing such a person was available. Instead he referred me to an Occupational Therapist - the person appointed said they had no experience of assessing dyspraxia in adults, so I declined to see them. Ata review appointment with a different psychiatrist - she reviewed my history and questioned me and diagnosed dyspraxia - that diagnosis being accepted by my GP although no support has been offered apart from tolerance when I have missed appointments for other ongoing treatment I have needed for heart and lung conditions since the mid 1980s.
ALADDIN
Power poster

Post by ALADDIN »

No reason , probably the NHS does not like private diagnoses, NHS management or politics maybe ?
Tom fod wrote: Wed Jun 15, 2022 7:19 pm
ALADDIN wrote: Tue Jun 14, 2022 9:44 am Assessment through genius within, good report .

Did your GP offer any indication of why they would not accept GW's report?
Tom fod
Administrator

Post by Tom fod »

The other aspect is that GPs may be unaware of who GW are and/or their expertise in the field.

Suspect some GPs may be less familiar with or trusting of Educational Psychologists!
Tom
Moderator/Administrator