Finding out

Getting assessed for your dyspraxia, getting help, disability allowance etc.

Moderator: Moderator Team

js29xox
New member - welcome them!

Finding out

Post by js29xox »

Hi I’m 19 I’m just wondering what it’s like to be diagnosed as an adult? My driving instructor asked me if I had been diagnosed as he thinks I show major signs, what did everybody else show?
My main things are I struggle so much with my balance and co ordination I always bump into people and my family
I find it hard in spaces and often get too close to people
I find college so hard my attention span does not last and I find it so difficult to take in the information and cannot concentrate without getting upset
I get very emotional over how I feel with no explanation
I always am tired without any explanation but can’t sleep at night cause of my mind going into over drive
I shake when I get excited.. I don’t know if this makes sense but I can’t control my notions like I always shake my arms up and down and squeeze
Tom fod
Administrator

Re: Finding out

Post by Tom fod »

Hi there and welcome. Glad you've found us.

I'd agree that you definitely have Dyspraxic traits..

You could speak to your GP, though they often don't have (m)any referral options for adults. .Another option would be to discuss your difficulties with your college as they may also have options for referring you for assessment.

We're all unique and have varying experiences. Often we'revery hard on ourselves so getting the confirmation can help us learn to be more accepting of ourselves.

Typically there isn't always a great deal of post diagnostic/assessment. Chatting to others can really help. It may feel like game over but it's better to look at it as discovering a new chapter in your own personal user manual for getting the best out of yourself.
Tom
Moderator/Administrator

With a foot full of bullets I tried to run faster but I just hobbled on to the next disaster.
(from Peter and the Test Tube Babies, Foot Full of Bullets)
humanrights
New member - welcome them!

Post by humanrights »

Hi, I found out about my dyspraxia at university way into my adulthood. It wasn't a shock! however it was confusing and has impacted me psychologically and passing my driving. I feel there is lack of support for those with Dyspraxia even at university where they blatantly informed me that they are unable to support me.
Tom fod
Administrator

Post by Tom fod »

humanrights wrote: Sat Mar 06, 2021 11:23 pm Hi, I found out about my dyspraxia at university way into my adulthood. It wasn't a shock! however it was confusing and has impacted me psychologically and passing my driving. I feel there is lack of support for those with Dyspraxia even at university where they blatantly informed me that they are unable to support me.
Welcome

Glad you've found us.

It's still not that well understood. Equally if we find out later we've probably already developed some coping strategies. These self-deveped coping strategies are often us being super demanding of ourselves and often take a toll. I was mid 30s. Learning to be kind and patient with ourselves is really important.
Tom
Moderator/Administrator

With a foot full of bullets I tried to run faster but I just hobbled on to the next disaster.
(from Peter and the Test Tube Babies, Foot Full of Bullets)