paradigm shift

Getting assessed for your dyspraxia, getting help, disability allowance etc.

Moderator: Moderator Team

tachyon
New member - welcome them!

paradigm shift

Post by tachyon »

In late 2019 I got a screening at my university and only just last week got an official assessment done.

I have still a little under 2 weeks until I receive my diagnosis and results but the whole thing took 3 hours to complete.

During my screening, the question of dyspraxia first came up and I had never heard of it before. The person doing the screening said that it was likely that I have it (but its unclear to know until I get assessed). Truthfully, I focused more on ADD/ADHD because that's what I thought I had.
My assessor covered all bases: numbers, reading, talking, memory, handwriting, reading comprehension, visual understanding, etc. We checked for everything.
Even after the screening and seeing the word dyspraxia and seeing the short description under it, I didn't really pay attention. I was convinced that ADD was what was truly holding me back. I'm having trouble putting my thoughts into words but basically, I didn't start really researching about dyspraxia until after my assessment. Even during that, the assessor focused on dyspraxia a lot as well.

Reading about it, and reading other dyspraxics' personal accounts both made me cry and laugh and both at the same time.
I'm guessing I'm not the only one who felt like this, like my eyes are really opening for the first time?

Like of course, I can't make assumptions until something official comes in, but all that focus on dyspraxia + the things I'm reading are putting the pieces together in my head. I'm taking my time to wrap my head around it (and not fall over).

Has anyone else felt like their entire perspective shifted or did it kind of fall in like 'Oh I understand. That makes sense'.
Tom fod
Administrator

Re: paradigm shift

Post by Tom fod »

hi there and welcome

It's a lot to get your head around and the questions of what does it all mean and who do I tell and what will they think are difficult to fathom.

I've not been assessed for ADHD but there does seem to be a bit of a crossover and I would say I'm too easily distracted. Some folk have both Dyspraxia and ADHD.
Tom
Moderator/Administrator

With a foot full of bullets I tried to run faster but I just hobbled on to the next disaster.
(from Peter and the Test Tube Babies, Foot Full of Bullets)