Dyspraxia Assessment

Getting assessed for your dyspraxia, getting help, disability allowance etc.

Moderator: Moderator Team

ShannonJody
New member - welcome them!

Dyspraxia Assessment

Post by ShannonJody »

Hello all,

I am new in this group and am 25 years old and I work full time, I am currently in the process of trying to get a diagnosis of dyspraxia and am potentially close to losing my job due to my work not having full evidence of me having this despite hospital letters from the nhs where I have been to appointments.. Anyway I have tried to seek the help and diagnosis I need from the NHS and have got nowhere and no one seems to know where to "send me".
I have had no option but to contact an occupational therapist and get them to assist me to give me the diagnosis I need which sadly is very expensive at least 500! I have no other choice because I need this evidence as soon as I can so my work can stop discriminating me.
I have struggled my whole life with co ordination skills which have got better over time as I am obsessed with the gym and fitness. But my day to day tasks such as organisational skills, getting up for work in the morning and being on time are horrible factors for me and I also struggle hitting targets at work etc. I cannot ride a bike or tie shoelaces either and have had to learn how to drive in an automatic car. I also can often struggle in social situations, easily make friends but some people say they cannot "handle me". I really really hope I can get a diagnosis/assessment soon to help me get the help I deserve.

Regards
Tom fod
Administrator

Re: Dyspraxia Assessment

Post by Tom fod »

Hi Shannon

Are you in the UK?

If yes I would suggest you contact Access to Work either via Job Centre Plus or via directgov

It might also be worth contacting ACAS or at least checking their website in regard help and advice.
Tom
Moderator/Administrator

With a foot full of bullets I tried to run faster but I just hobbled on to the next disaster.
(from Peter and the Test Tube Babies, Foot Full of Bullets)