Autistic adult seeking a dyspraxia assessment

Getting assessed for your dyspraxia, getting help, disability allowance etc.

Moderator: Moderator Team

Katrine-Estella
New member - welcome them!

Autistic adult seeking a dyspraxia assessment

Post by Katrine-Estella »

I am an autistic adult of 55 who got diagnosed with autism in 2014 in Basildon. I live in Thurrock in SW Essex and I am seeking a dyspraxia assessment but I do not know how to go about it as an autistic adult. I have always had difficulties with fine and major motor skills along with balance, perception, co-ordination and spatial awareness. I cannot find information on the process for autistic adults who are unemployed. Please can you advise me on what to do. Thank you.
Tom fod
Administrator

Re: Autistic adult seeking a dyspraxia assessment

Post by Tom fod »

Hi Katrine and welcome.

That's a hard one to answer as it seems to be generally held that if you have a diagnosis of Autism, 'another diagnostic label is not considered necessary'. I think that is wrong, but equally there is very little tailored help for people with dyspraxia and if you weren't diagnosed whilst in full time education it can be v difficult getting diagnosis in adulthood. Assuming your GP has been unable to help? It may be worth politely persisting with Jobcentre Plus and your local Disability Employment Advisor (DEA). I fear you may have to fight a degree of ageism too. The Dyspraxia Foundation Helpline /Website are poss worth a look too
Tom
Moderator/Administrator

With a foot full of bullets I tried to run faster but I just hobbled on to the next disaster.
(from Peter and the Test Tube Babies, Foot Full of Bullets)
Katrine-Estella

Hello Tom, I am not seeking employment due to chronic illness as I have Fibromyalgia as well depression and anxiety. I have also taken a dyslexia assessment which shows that I have considerable difficulties along with dyspraxia symptoms. Its difficult getting an appointment at my GP as it takes a month to get an appointment and only one health condition per appointment. I have not approached my GP regarding getting dyspraxia since getting my autism diagnosis as I want to find out how to approach my GP about getting diagnosis. I always attend appointments with my P.A. who supports me. I am on ESA and PIP.
Katrine-Estella

Hello Tom, thank you for your kind welcome and advice.