Getting diagnosed

Getting assessed for your dyspraxia, getting help, disability allowance etc.

Moderator: Moderator Team

Aaaaeeri
New member - welcome them!

Getting diagnosed

Post by Aaaaeeri »

I live in an abusive house and I can’t go to my gp or college as my dad will find out and will have a go at me about trying to get diagnosed with something that doesn’t exist in his eyes. The same thing happened when I was diagnosed with ADHD and my mental health I didn’t even know I had ADHD( had always wondered) until about 9 months ago, I’m 17 now and was 5 when being tested. How can I get diagnosed without my family knowing
Tom fod
Administrator

Re: Getting diagnosed

Post by Tom fod »

It is really none of his business and your GP and/or College should treat your case with confidentiality in mind. Your college is probably the easier route as NHS don't always have the resource. Any Assessor your college puts you in touch with may need to ask questions about your medical history. I would speak to your college's student support and welfare team and be sure to tell them of this difficulty/complication.

Do you think he may have it too? Often those who protest this way can be in denial.

It is just how you are and knowing/being able to accept you as you are, is really helpful.
Tom
Moderator/Administrator

With a foot full of bullets I tried to run faster but I just hobbled on to the next disaster.
(from Peter and the Test Tube Babies, Foot Full of Bullets)
Aaaaeeri

Post by Aaaaeeri »

Hey tom, thanks for the response. I already have counselling at my college so I’ll try and bring it up in one of my sessions. Thanks for the advice
Tom fod
Administrator

Post by Tom fod »

You're welcome.
It's natural for us to look for approval from others, sadly that isn't always forthcoming. Many are mistrustful of neurodiversity and difference. But we can't or won't always conform to others' 'ideals'

It's not your Dad's fault you were diagnosed with ADHD but perhaps he felt it was a failing on his part rather than something he could control or have prevented?

If you're able to learn to be confident in who and how you are, he may come round to accrpting in time.

I never really discussed Dyspraxia with my parents. I was diagnosed at school but it was never discussed with me so while I tried I often failed in things and hated myself for it. It was only about 8 years ago I started to better understand the condition and its effects for me and others.

A wild and weird sense of humour helps!
Tom
Moderator/Administrator

With a foot full of bullets I tried to run faster but I just hobbled on to the next disaster.
Stacey

Post by Stacey »

Hey Tom. Hope you are well. I grew up in what sounds like a similar household and it's not easy especially when we have our own issues. Are you at college or doing anything else? Get your self out a there.... It does no good for our mental health.
Tom fod
Administrator

Post by Tom fod »

Hi Stacey and welcome
The original poster here was actually Aaaaeeri. I was just one of the people who responded. Don't worry though we all make mistakes here
Tom
Moderator/Administrator