Assessors in Scotland - Dysguise

Getting assessed for your dyspraxia, getting help, disability allowance etc.

Moderator: Moderator Team

Raquel
New member - welcome them!

Assessors in Scotland - Dysguise

Post by Raquel »

Hi everyone,

I am currently looking to get assessed for dyspraxia in Scotland. I've just found out about Dysguise https://www.dysguise.com, who are educational psychologists, and I'm looking in to meeting with an OT as well.

Does anyone on here have previous experience with Disguise and know if they are good/helpful? Dyspraxia UK say there are lots of charlatans in this field so I'm a little hesitant and unsure who to trust.

Also if anyone has any recommendations generally for good assessors in Scotland or general recommendations about how best to get assessed that would be more than welcome also.

Tom fod
Administrator

Re: Assessors in Scotland - Dysguise

Post by Tom fod »

Hi and welcome

I’ve not heard of Dysguise before. I don’t know much about Dyspraxia UK either.

With any company offering assessments, they should be happy to answer questions openly before you sign up/pay them. If they should try to pressure you for money/try to unreasonably rush you into a decision, please report them.
Tom
Moderator/Administrator

With a foot full of bullets I tried to run faster but I just hobbled on to the next disaster.
(from Peter and the Test Tube Babies, Foot Full of Bullets)
Raquel

Post by Raquel »

Hi there,

Thanks for the reply & advice. I wrote this in a rush yesterday - I meant Dyspraxia Foundation not Dyspraxia UK!

I'll shop around and see how different centres respond to me as you suggest :-)

Thanks!
Raquel
Tom fod
Administrator

Post by Tom fod »

R

You're welcome. There is an organisation trading as Dyspraxia UK who provide assessments. It may be worth investigating options for funding by school/college, employer,.Access to Work or other means.
Tom
Moderator/Administrator

With a foot full of bullets I tried to run faster but I just hobbled on to the next disaster.
Raquel

Post by Raquel »

Hi :-) yes thanks I'm having a look in to all of this just now.

One of the things I'm realizing now however is that many of the assessments you can access as an adult often do not give a definitive diagnosis. The assessments they do at my work for example seem to be based on how you struggle in your particular role, not on diagnosing dyspraxia. Also the private assessors I've spoken to so far seem to only provide assessments that indicate certain learning difficulties, rather than provide definitive diagnoses.

One of the assessors I've messaged told me that to get a definitive diagnosis I would need to be referred to an OT by my GP, but I've already spoken to my GP and they say there are no assessments provided through the NHS for dyspraxia in adults in my area.

All of this is a little worrying for me. Surely you should be able to get an actual clinical diagnosis of dyspraxia as an adult. Otherwise what guarantee do you have that your future employers will take you seriously when you say you have dyspraxia?
Tom fod
Administrator

Post by Tom fod »

Hi again

Unfortunately, yes, that is true and it's a very valid question/concern. Sadly by many accounts it's very difficult for an adult to obtain formal diagnosis/confirmation. According to the Dyspraxia Foundation's FAQ's, getting a diagnosis will likely require input from a number of medical professionals and may include a Neurologist, OT, Educational Psychologist. Many of the professionals who are instrumental in confirming Dyspraxia seem to restrict their work to paediatrics. Even then a lot of parents seem to have to resort to seeking private confirmation as the school SENCOs are not always recognising or referring pupils.

I think most public service employers would accept disclosure at face value from a candidate but would in many cases want a professional opinion on what reasonable adjustments they should/need to put in place to assist that person in their specific role. My cynical view is this is for arse covering reasons. However, it is in their interest to try to get the best from all employees regardless of any 'label' they might have. Sadly I think too many people get to the stage where they are put on capability measures if they are unable to perform sufficiently well in their role, when just a little flexibility and support could make a massive difference on how someone fares in a role suited and matched to their abilities.

It would be interesting to know if you were to share with your GP, any assessment report from an OT and private assessment by an educational psychologist whether this would be sufficient to enable them to add Dyspraxia to your record? (feel free to ask the Dyspraxia Foundation that. Did you receive any help while at school? Unfortunately Local Education Authorities and the NHS are not joined up.
Tom
Moderator/Administrator

Raquel

Post by Raquel »

Hi so I've been asking around further and have now come across some assessors who do say they can provide a diagnosis of dyspraxia. So I'm a little confused to say the least now :-/.

Thanks a lot for your comments though, they have been very helpful. I'll look in to this issue about whether a private assessment can go on my GP record and post back here when I find out.