Central Database?

Getting assessed for your dyspraxia, getting help, disability allowance etc.

Moderator: Moderator Team

Post Reply
New member - welcome them!
Posts: 2
Joined: Tue Jan 09, 2018 4:30 pm

Central Database?

Post by JJBandit »

Hi Folks,

I wonder if anyone can assist me.

I was diagnosed (if thats the right term) with severe dyspraxia about 10 years ago or so at Uni. At the time i was given a printed out report of my assesment.

However a couple of home moves later, and over ten years passing, i seem to have misplaced my reports.

Sadly due to some issues at work with me being told i'm not allowed to use a screen filter (i really struggle with black text on a white screen) as its practically a privacy screen (as i don;t know where to buy a normal filter that does not cost a fortune).

I'm now being told that i need to prove that i'm dyspraxic.

So i have a couple of questions. Hopefulyl someone may be able to point me in the right direction.

1) Is there a central database of my report, or anything that i can use to prove i i suffer from dyspraxia? Would my GP have this on record or anything? I can deal with not having the report. But something official saying i am a sufferer would help.

2) at the time i was send to an opticians to get an eye test to test what colour tint i needed for a pair of glasses. Sadly they annoyingly made them corrective, so i rarely used them as i do not actually need corrective glasses (i was just very tired on the day i go the test done i suspect). I have now lost these glasses. But is there anywhere that i can get the info for the specific colour code i require, in case i needed to get glasses again? Again, a central database or anything?

I hope someone can help, as i'm starting to suffer from really bad headaches and eye problems due to having to stare at a screen all day that is not filtered. But i now have to prove i'm dyspraxic, so can;t use the filter i have until i prove myself.

can anyone help or point me in the right direction please?

Many thanks in advance.

Tom fod
Posts: 2409
Joined: Thu May 12, 2011 9:05 pm
Location: SW UK

Re: Central Database?

Post by Tom fod »

Hi and welcome

To my knowledge I'm afraid there is no such repository of info. Can you recall whether your assessor was employed directly by your university, or did they bring someone in? You could try calling them and ask them about their data retention policy, though not certain they would have cause to retain this level of personal data about you once you've left. If yes great though they may charge a fee for digging through archives copying and posting etc.

Another option might be if you can remember the name of the outside company and contact them to see if they can help. Again data retention may mean they no longer have this.

You could approach your company's HR/ Welfare Dept or Union Rep and/or mention you will be seeking legal advice with a view to taking them to a Tribunal for discrimination. It's in their best interests to help you. Equally Display Screen Equipment regulations should mean they ought to fund an eye test for you and maybe your optician can advise re Irlens syndrome side and appropriate colour tints.

If a medical opinion was sought as part of your assessment there,s a remote possibility they might have sent your GP a copy. Were you statemented whilst at school at all?

Your Job Centre DEA may also be able to advise and/or you could contact Access to Work.

Sorry this is probably not the positive response you were hoping for re the existence of a 'Dyspraxia Register'. Please let us know how you get on.

With a foot full of bullets I tried to run faster but I just hobbled on to the next disaster.
(from Peter and the Test Tube Babies, Foot Full of Bullets)

Post Reply