Where can I get assessed for multiple learning difficulties

Getting assessed for your dyspraxia, getting help, disability allowance etc.

Moderator: Moderator Team

purplerealm
New member - welcome them!

Where can I get assessed for multiple learning difficulties

Post by purplerealm »

Hi

I was diagnosed with dyslexia in 2005 by a psychologist with dyspraxia. I went and joined a project called DORE which developed exercises to help manage dyslexia and dyspraxia and stated I had symptoms of adhd also although it was not a qualified diagnosis as the project was not evidence based and proven to be effective clinically. It helped my greatly.

I have worked with females with aspergers as clients and cant help noticing how symptoms of dyspraxia and aspergers in females are closely linked. It made me think if I have aspergers.

I work in lifecoaching and have pushed myself so hard in the workplace and overcome challenges and adversity.

I want to be reassessed for aspergers, dyslexia, dypspraxia and adhd altogether.I enquired in another forum and via my gp surgery. I was told why bother as I have worked hard to overcoming my problems but its not the point.
I dont know if learning difficulties can change in severity over the years or symptoms can vary.

Is anyone that offers such a service privately? I was quoted £1000 but that was too much and only offered seperate tests. I can go up to £500. Is there anyone in the lincolnshire or any other counties. I am willing to travel.

Thanks
Tom fod
Administrator

Re: Where can I get assessed for multiple learning difficult

Post by Tom fod »

Hi welcome to our community.

I appreciate you'd like to have the 'experts' views on what conditions you actually have and maybe an opinion of where you are on the relevant severity scales.

I'm afraid I subscribe to the view that given there is not a great deal of understanding of these conditions. Even if you are diagnosed, does it necessarily mean anything to have them on your medical notes?

I appreciate they can help some to understand and go some way towards accepting why they have certain problems, but sometimes the 'labels' can be limiting. There's a wide spectrum and if you went on one of your good days would the test threshold be sensitive enough for you to be deemed affected and would you meet the thresholds for receiving any useful or meaningful assistance. There is sadly not a lot to be found.

Did you find DORE of any help?. There seem to be varied and polarised opinions of its worth. I read somewhere that it had folded. It may be worth trying some keyword searches of our forum or calling the Dyspraxia Foundation\s Helpline. Sorry I have not really answered your question, though others may be able to make more useful suggestions.
Tom
Moderator/Administrator

With a foot full of bullets I tried to run faster but I just hobbled on to the next disaster.
(from Peter and the Test Tube Babies, Foot Full of Bullets)
screengreen
Power poster

Re: Where can I get assessed for multiple learning difficulties

Post by screengreen »

Hi there you may like to look into sensory integration, it is my belief (although possibly biased) that sensory integration disorders underlie dyslexia dyspraxia ADHD and autism. If you want to know more you may like to take a look at the sensory integration network web page. Or you could read stuff by A Jean Ayres. But some is quite technical and child focused. It is my understanding that you can improve due to neuroplasticity. Here is the link for the sensory integration networkhttp://www.sensoryintegration.org.uk/ hope this helps.