Is my mate dyspraxic?

Getting assessed for your dyspraxia, getting help, disability allowance etc.

Moderator: Moderator Team

tombrown9g2
New member - welcome them!

Is my mate dyspraxic?

Post by tombrown9g2 »

My friend was apparently diagnosed as dyspraxic (as a child I think). However..
He plays a team sport with no difficulty I.e he can run well, change direction easily, play to a tactic, throw and catch with either hand. (So great eye hand coordination)
He can ride a bike with no difficulty.
He's a great cook. He plays video games loads with no difficulty.
He's speech is fine - he can be quite witty. Sense of direction is fine.
His handwriting seems fine and he can write 1st class essays.
His emotions and behaviour never appear erratic.

The only reason he tells me he's dyspraxic because he has bad organisational skills and time planning - but don't a lot of people? He's also extremely lazy - not sure if this is the dyspraxia or just him..

Because he's registered as dyspraxic at uni he sometimes gets extensions for coursework - he got a 3 week extension the other day! and instead of using it wisely, went on several nights out, did loads of other fun stuff and generally did no work . As such he got yet another extension for the same piece of work (bear in mind he has absolutely no other work that needs doing simultaneously)..

Does he really sound dyspraxic? If so how severe?
I understand how he might be allowed maybe a 1 week extension, but 4 weeks for something he's had all semester to do perhaps seems unfair on others. (I don't mean offend anyone)
freida74
Getting settled in

Re: Is my mate dyspraxic?

Post by freida74 »

This is really interesting as I would say my dyspraxic alarm bells are ringing due to my lack of organisation and planning abilities - so I can not logically structure an essay - and this has been picked up by my MA tutor this week who is the one who has suggested i might be dyspraxic. (In that the way I process information and relay it.) This is a huge surprise to me at 40 and studying for my MA to find I potentially have this - but so many things make so much more sense to me so I'm coming round to thinking there is a good chance have it?!

I would say I have no speech problems, can ride a bike and am not particularly clumsy. However things like hitting a ball with a bat or catching a ball I have never been able to do! and there are quite a few other things on the list that are resonating with me.

I obviously don't know if it is possible to have dyspraxia without having the more well known symptoms- I would really like to know though as it could be applicable to me. I do know that symptoms can vary (from what I've read) .

I find it surprising that your friend apparantly does no work and it still getting a first and it does sound unfair that he is partying and playing hard and having allowances made. Like you say that does not sound like valid issues - it just sounds like he has got his priorities wrong and is using his dyspraxia as an excuse. I don't think you sound harsh at all.

I would be interested to know how it was flagged up for your friend as a child without him showing the main symptoms though as something that is apparently hard to diagnose.

I am sure someone with a lot more knowledge than me will be along soon!
tombrown9g2
New member - welcome them!

Post by tombrown9g2 »

I can't remember the exact details, but for the test he said he had to rearrange some wooden(?) blocks into a pattern/shape shown alongside. And he just couldn't do it. I assume this was when he was younger as I'm fairly sure he'd be able to do it now.
Tom fod
Administrator

Post by Tom fod »

Tom

It's not really our place to comment on your friend.
This needs to be dealt with privately between you and your mate and/or him and his tutors at university.

Thread locked
Tom
Moderator/Administrator

With a foot full of bullets I tried to run faster but I just hobbled on to the next disaster.
(from Peter and the Test Tube Babies, Foot Full of Bullets)