Been referred to 5 different places now...

Getting assessed for your dyspraxia, getting help, disability allowance etc.

Moderator: Moderator Team

Roxy86
Regular Poster

Been referred to 5 different places now...

Post by Roxy86 »

... I went to a follow up appointment with my GP the other week (who, I would just like to point out, is a FANTASTIC lady! :D) She asked if the reception team had filled me in on what had been going on, I said no, cos they hadn't and then she explained;

She had tried referring me to an occupational therapist first off, then a psychologist, behavioural therapist, psychiatrist and I forget what the fifth one was, but, she said she was 'fuming' (or it may have been 'furious' :S) with the NHS as nobody would take on my case, rejected by all 5!! :O

She said she had a meeting the following week and would bring it up there cos she doesn't know what else to do :S When I was living in Portsmouth, in just 2 weeks to a month, I had a OT and was awaiting an assessment... For various reasons, I had to move back home with mum and that was the end of that :(

Now, I just feel like I'm at a lose end, a case lost in the system and don't know what to do... I JUST want something in hard copy, black and white, signed by a medical professional of sorts to be able to show my employer, and hopefully, start living my life without this worry or fear!
-Hakuna Matata-
thrivingminds
New member - welcome them!

Re: Been referred to 5 different places now...

Post by thrivingminds »

Waiting for an OT assessment on the NHS can be a lengthy one, and once assessed follow up is patchy due to resources.Seeing all those professionals is tough especially when you don't get anywhere. I am an independent occupational therapist and I complete adolescent and adult dyspraxia assessments. Yes they cost a a lot of money but as you know everyone with dyspraxia has individual sensory deficits which are dependable upon environment and stress. A diagnosis could make such as difference not only in day to day life but at critical events such as a school or university giving you extra time for exams, an employer having to make reasonable adjustments under the Equality Act. The assessment is not just a tick box exercise, a holistic assessment looks at your life from in the womb and on wards and can take up to three hours and more if completed without time pressures. We as OT's give out practical advice after and continue that process as you progress through your life. So for those skeptics out there, don't focus on the cost focus on the benefits, your worth it.
Roxy86
Regular Poster

Post by Roxy86 »

Finally!! After 8 months of calls chasing up referrals, waiting, being passed from one professional body/organisation/hospital to the next, someone has agreed to take on my case! :D I am going for my first appointment next Tuesday (3rd) and then, the 10th and 17th! What a relief... After all that, my efforts and perseverance has paid off! :D
-Hakuna Matata-
screengreen
Power poster

Post by screengreen »

just out of curiousity which professional are you seeing?
Roxy86
Regular Poster

Post by Roxy86 »

Am seeing a psychologist screengreen :) and, very much enjoying it: fascinating stuff! :D
-Hakuna Matata-
Roxy86
Regular Poster

Post by Roxy86 »

Just to update you all, today, I was officially diagnosed as Dyspraxic and will be posting my test scores in 'help and assessment' once I get my written report!! :D
-Hakuna Matata-