Is there REALLY no help to be had in my town?

Getting assessed for your dyspraxia, getting help, disability allowance etc.

Moderator: Moderator Team

BeatrixPlotter
Getting settled in

Is there REALLY no help to be had in my town?

Post by BeatrixPlotter »

So, after four appointments, four GPs, and several fruitless phonecalls, I've been told by my GP that 'Oh, sorry, there's no support for adults with learning difficulties in Birmingham.'

I'm sorry, but I find that incredibly hard to believe. Really? Nothing? Nothing at all? Not even a charity that might be able to help me out?

I'm so frustrated because although I've been promised that they'll try and get me in with an OT, there's pretty much no chance I'll ever get a screening. For me, this means I'll never get a formal diagnosis of dyspraxia and so I may well be barred from other forms of support as they arise. Grrrrrrrr!

So, can anyone here tell me if there is anything in Birmingham? If anyone's having trouble in their own hometown might be worth asking here too!

Cheers!
nickye
Power poster

Re: Is there REALLY no help to be had in my town?

Post by nickye »

Hi,

Although I'm not in Birmingham I found a local group via the Dyspraxia Foundation website. I had a look to see if there was anything in Birmingham, and according to that there was a group set up last year (so hopefully it's still running). There's no phone number, but an e-mail address of birminghamdyspraxia@yahoo.co.uk

It says that it was set up by two Mums of children with dyspraxia (Ruth Tanner and Rachel Holden) and they meet every first Wednesday morning of the month between 10 - 12 at Bourneville Scout Hut, Laurel Grove, Bourneville Lane B30 1LE

I hope this is helpful and that the group is still going. I contacted the lady where I live in Berkshire and she's been really helpful already by e-mail.

Good luck.
Nicky
(I haven't actually been diagnosed with dyspraxia but have a suspicion I may have. I did got the GP and although she was nice she didn't really know what to recommend, but I'm starting off with my local group and talking to the local NHS Talking Therapies, and then going back to GP if I need to.)