Been referred to an educational psychologist.

Getting assessed for your dyspraxia, getting help, disability allowance etc.

Moderator: Moderator Team

talknerdytome
Getting settled in

Been referred to an educational psychologist.

Post by talknerdytome »

I have always struggled with attentional problems, so I approached learning support at my university about the possibility of ADHD. A friend of mine took me to one side when I told her and said that she didn't want to offend me but that she thought I was in fact Dyspraxic. I looked it up and it seemed to fit. I mentioned it to the learning support lady yesterday, she did a quick screening test and then said that I had scored very highly and she wanted me to go straight to the ED in London so I didn't have to wait. I have contacted them and I'm waiting for a date.

I am a bit scared by it all. I always knew that something wasn't quite right, but thought I would grow out of it. It has been causing massive problems for me at home, my boyfriend is sick of asking me to do things and me not getting them done. I already have a Psychology degree, but I only got a 2.2. I am now studying nursing and I am really struggling in lectures and working at home.

Any advice about what an ED will do with me would be great.
talknerdytome
Getting settled in

Re: Been referred to an educational psychologist.

Post by talknerdytome »

So I have an appointment next Wednesday at 2pm :S
ishi
Getting settled in

Post by ishi »

As far as I know Ed Psychs cannot diagnose dyspraxia as this technically is a medical condition- needing a doctor to assess; or more accurately refer you to a neuro-psych!

That said I'm sure the Ed psych can offer you plenty of information and advice.
Tim G
Super poster

Post by Tim G »

I got my digignosis as dyspraxic and dyslexic by a educational phyclogist but that was over 10 years ago and I don't know if things have changed since then but I think that you should be able to get a good digignosis sorted and also should be able to get some help on where to go to get help and more advice etc.

Unforantly 'growing out of it' is not garanteed - some are lucky and it gets better in time while others have the same issues. - For example I had co-oradation difculties when I was younger and thies got better with time but my mental difculties with dyspraxicia have stayed and affected me more as i am a adult now.
The real Mr Potato Head
talknerdytome
Getting settled in

Post by talknerdytome »

Thank you for your responses.

As far as I am aware, dyslexia/dyspraxia are specific learning difficulties, so they can be diagnosed by an educational psychologist. ADD/ADHD are medical conditions and can only be diagnosed by a doctor.

I think it will just be nice to know one way or the other.