Dyspraxia and self esteem

Getting assessed for your dyspraxia, getting help, disability allowance etc.

Moderator: Moderator Team

laurajm
Getting settled in

Dyspraxia and self esteem

Post by laurajm »

I'm dyspraxic and I have very low self estem and often have moments where I feel really low which I have read is two of the trates of it. I want to get some help for my esteem and wondered if councling would help. I wondered if anyone has had any councling with their self esteem?

My mum said that she thought if I went to a councilor that they may not understand dyspraxia and wouldn't know how to help but I refuse to believe I am beyond help!

Please can anyone help me?

x
Osymandus
Power poster

Re: Dyspraxia and self esteem

Post by Osymandus »

Not true counicllers are now more aware of teh links between low self esteem and Dys - disabliaities (happens with Dyslexia as well ). You fill worthless and not as good as others . AS already mentioned on here CBT cognitive behavioral therapy is used widely . However its individual , go see a profession . If your in the UK speak to your local Dyspraxia foundation as well .

There's still stigma about mental health here in teh UK at least , no ones beyound help ;)
laurajm
Getting settled in

Post by laurajm »

That's awesome thank you for your advice, good to know I am not beyond help :P!!

xxx
laurajm
Getting settled in

Post by laurajm »

I have just looked up cognitive behavioral therapy and I don't think I fall in any of the categories is there anything else I can try?

Thanks
Osymandus
Power poster

Post by Osymandus »

Thats why you got to go see the professionsals ;) . They will help you figure out wha tis best fo ryou ;) and you can decide and try if it works . GP referal might be teh first step .
Remus
Regular Poster

Post by Remus »

I'm going to see a counsellor in September to talk about a variety of things but I think it will really help me to talk to someone who is trained in to dealing with people's problems and I cannot not see how Dyspraxia would effect that. I plan to talk about my Dyspraxia but it's not going to be the main issue. If I was you, I would give it go. It may not be for you but at least, you can say you gave it go and tick that one off the list.

Going to go see your GP might be the best bet though, they can refer you to someone professional and they know a lot more.

Both optimists and pessimists contribute to our society. The optimist invents the airplane and the pessimist the parachute G. B. Stern
babooshka2002
Regular Poster

Post by babooshka2002 »

It may be wise also to scout out round where you live and find out if there are any local services that you could take advantage of.

I live in York, and I had counselling with the Youth Enquiry Service, a non-profit organisation to help young people with all sorts of things, housing, disputes about things, claiming benefits, giving up smoking - and a good counselling service. Available for people up to and including the age of 25.

We also have a branch of the MIND charity in York - they offer counselling and CBT as well as support for people with other psychiatric disorders.

You could find your local Citizen's Advice Bureau - they will be up to speed on helpful services in your area and they may be able to tell you if there is a local place that provides counselling.