Local authority failed understanding

Getting assessed for your dyspraxia, getting help, disability allowance etc.

Moderator: Moderator Team

ndyanem
New member - welcome them!

Local authority failed understanding

Post by ndyanem »

I can’t go into to much detail but I’m diagnosed confirmed dyslexic and dyspraxia so the term nerodiverse.
I have a court case coming up this week and had a report written by a local authority member who is obviously not understanding my conditions.
She has branded me ‘can’t have both’ with regards to my memory recall
Extremely anxious, uncooperative personality the list goes on.
I’m having to apply to the court to submit my reports of diagnosis but feel like a loosing battle as this report has branded me
I feel out my depth and I don’t understand how I’m meant to teach people about these hidden disability.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated
Tom fod
Administrator

Re: Local authority failed understanding

Post by Tom fod »

Hi
Sorry we aren't welcoming you in better circumstances

Are you attending the hearing in person and/or is anyone attending to legally represent, or offer you moral support?

Have you stated in written submission that this statement within the report is untrue?

Have you contacted a disability advocate organisation for advice?
Tom
Moderator/Administrator

With a foot full of bullets I tried to run faster but I just hobbled on to the next disaster.
(from Peter and the Test Tube Babies, Foot Full of Bullets)
ndyanem

Post by ndyanem »

Hello,

I’m attendeding in person and have a solicitor and barrister which are costly. I’ve submitted an application to the court for the documents of my assessment but it will be down to judge to accept or not.
I just feel like these local authority people work with so many learning styles and they don’t even know what dyslexic and dyspraxia is 😔
Tom fod
Administrator

Post by Tom fod »

Regrettably it is not surprising. It's encouraging that you have legal representation. Do advise them that this Council Employee is misinformed and that her assertion is simply untrue.

Conveying how your disabilities affect your ability to live independently will be as much if not more value than the names of the conditions that contribute to your difficulties.

She won't get sent down for a whole life tariff as that would have to be treated as a separate case.
Tom
Moderator/Administrator

With a foot full of bullets I tried to run faster but I just hobbled on to the next disaster.
ndyanem

Post by ndyanem »

Thank you.
I just hope the barrister can translate in simple language by difficulties and get the judge to see past it and hope they accept the assessment report.
It’s concerning that people in there’s roles don’t understand dyspraxia
Tom fod
Administrator

Post by Tom fod »

It's indicative of councils being under pressure to deliver but not having the resources or expertise.

Even with a small amount of research this Council employee would have had plenty of evidence of Neurodivergent conditions including Dyspraxia and Dyslexia co-occurring.

Hopefully the judge will cover this misrepresentation in any comments they make and reinforce that submissions must be accurate.
Tom
Moderator/Administrator