Do I have dyspraxia?

Cooking, finances, shopping and any regular tasks that are challenging

Moderator: Moderator Team

Treesaregood338
New member - welcome them!

Do I have dyspraxia?

Post by Treesaregood338 »

Hi! I’m a senior in high school, and I’ve been wondering the past few days if I’m dyspraxia. I was diagnosed with dysgraphia when I was 8.

I didn’t learn to tie my shoes until I was 8, even with constant instruction and practice with my mom. I’m still kinda slow at it. I didn’t learn to ride a bike until I was 10, and that took me 3 months of practicing for hours almost every day to learn. I never learned how to do the monkey bars, because when I tried to let go of the bar to swing, I would let go with both hands!

I can drive, and I’m pretty decent at it, but I had to take my test 3 times to get my license. I knock into walls and chairs frequently, and I trip when walking up and down stairs a lot because I forget where my feet are! I always get stressed when I have to walk up and down stairs at school.

Many times I can’t tell where my body is in relation to everything else, although that could be my dysgraphia. I have ok fine motor skills, and can catch stuff sometimes, but it took me a lot of practice to do those things and get good at using my hands. My hands shake a lot after using them. I would normally chalk that up to dysgraphia, but even when I don’t write my hands shake slightly after frequent use.

I play the violin, and have for 7 years. I still struggle with playing fast, but I’m in the top orchestra in the school. I practice a lot, and it can be frustrating because my fingers won’t listen to my head. But, I can overcome that issue through practicing a lot.

I am SUPER disorganized, and lose stuff constantly. It’s been a big issue for me. And, I have trouble speaking, I have sensory and auditory processing issues, (but that might be from my dysgraphia too) and have trouble telling left and right apart.

Basically, I suck at moving, co-ordinating, organization, and keeping track of stuff. But, through practice and patience, I’ve overcome/gotten better with a lot of theses issues, to the point where it’s just a background annoyance rather than a frustrating, debilitating issue like it used to be when I was younger. I’m not seeking out a diagnosis, as I don’t think it would help me much. I’m just curious if these “quirks” of mine have a name or underlying cause. Thank you for reading!!
Tom fod
Administrator

Re: Do I have dyspraxia?

Post by Tom fod »

Hi and welcome

The various Dys_____ conditions are often interrelated and you can often have more than one. Regrettably knowledge of Dyspraxia can be patchy and some would claim oh you can drive and play violin you cannot possibly be. That's absolute crap, we're all different and in some/many cases we are eminently capable at things that someone with dyspraxia might typically have significant difficulty with. From a non professional standpoint based on what you've said here, you could easily be one of us so welcome. I hope you find the posts here useful and informative.
Tom
Moderator/Administrator

With a foot full of bullets I tried to run faster but I just hobbled on to the next disaster.
(from Peter and the Test Tube Babies, Foot Full of Bullets)
Treesaregood338
New member - welcome them!

Re: Do I have dyspraxia?

Post by Treesaregood338 »

I have found many forums here helpful. Thank you!