eInk - monitors and Kindles - eyes over sensitive to light

Cooking, finances, shopping and any regular tasks that are challenging

Moderator: Moderator Team

MrLiquorish
Getting settled in

eInk - monitors and Kindles - eyes over sensitive to light

Post by MrLiquorish »

Hi all,

For a long time I’ve had difficulties with discomfort from bright lighting and screens (and when they are combined, specifically with monitors). I found out some time after i had this problem, that having eyes that are sensitive to light can be a symptom of dyspraxia.

Ive just ordered an old, low contrast model of the Kindle, and am looking forward to trying that out. I actually ordered the old model from eBay because it was cheaper and i wasn't sure how much i would use it - however, searching this forum someone has actually previously suggested that the old low contrast models are better for those with Irlen syndrome, and i think this was the right choice not just for being cheaper but for being easy on the eyes.

Whilst looking into this, I discovered there is a company now looking to release a full size B&W monitor that uses eInk. The company is called Dasung. Its not released yet, and sadly it will be very expensive (i think around $3000). I believe it does offer a smaller, 13.3 inch monitor already, at a lower (but still expensive) price.

So, really I’m just writing this post to say - if you think you ever struggle with monitors or reading contrast - but like reading. Maybe consider an old Kindle (ive ordered a Kindle 4)

But, additionally, technologies are developing with colour eInk and eInk monitors, so could be something to consider if you have the money (or just to keep an eye on, as prices (hopefully reduce) and technology improved.

Thanks all

Matt
Denield4
New member - welcome them!

Re: eInk - monitors and Kindles - eyes over sensitive to light

Post by Denield4 »

Have you tried removing the backlight or putting it outside?
KennyKlark478

Post by KennyKlark478 »

Denield4 wrote: Sat Apr 30, 2022 1:36 pm Have you tried removing the backlight or putting it outside?
Take a look at Lightberry, they make good stuff for customers like you. Plus they have the ability to completely replace the backlighting. There's a smartphone app to control online, brightness, contrast, wallpaper background, white balance, black depth. You can change the intensity of the colour, night mode - backlighting in any colour, and colour music under 4K if you install a splitter 4K for any TV channel or online movie. I've tried replacing the backlighting with https://www.vont.com/product/smart-strip-lights-led-strip-lights/ tape and it works well. Not a bad budget option for economy and the same result.
Dyspraxicstruggles

Post by Dyspraxicstruggles »

I use kindle on my phone and found the black screen with white writing is the best for me. (as well as the brightness being on the lowest setting and having my phone set to 'eye comfort' setting.