Does anyone else struggle with technology?

Cooking, finances, shopping and any regular tasks that are challenging

Moderator: Moderator Team

Tom
New member - welcome them!

Does anyone else struggle with technology?

Post by Tom »

I have dyspraxia and I am hopeless with all kinds of computer based technology. Phones, tablets, TVs, computers, I suck using them all. I think it's due to my short term memory problems because I can't remember the procedures needed to do things. I also get lost and can't remember where I've been or what I've just done on a computer etc. I actually fear technology and get so anxious when asked to do something which other people take for granted as easy. I actually struggled just to figure out how to use this forum.
Does anyone else have these problems? I feel like I was born in the wrong century...
Tom fod
Administrator

Re: Does anyone else struggle with technology?

Post by Tom fod »

Hi Tom and welcome

If it helps I'm not sure Im use any of my devices to their full potential and so often the processes can be counter intuitive unless I've done the task before and done it regularly, then the 'upgrade' the software. These things are sold to us as being easy but aren't always. Anxiety tends to use up the memory we could use to remember the last/next step and comparing ourselves to others just isn't fair.

I'm definitely happier if I have a keyboard as navigating touch screens can be a nightmare as selecting blocks of text is nigh impossible.
Tom
Moderator/Administrator

With a foot full of bullets I tried to run faster but I just hobbled on to the next disaster.
(from Peter and the Test Tube Babies, Foot Full of Bullets)
Lidiacat50

Post by Lidiacat50 »

I feel the same way.
Lidiacat50

Post by Lidiacat50 »

Actually, I wish I was born a little later because many people I know today still have no idia what dyspraxia is and see dylexia as a topic for humor. I was born in 1964 and when I was growing up and in adult hood the situation was far worse than it is now.