Moderator: Moderator Team

hahahalife
New member - welcome them!

Poor memory

Post by hahahalife »

My memory is awful.
people say i am smart but i am really frustrated
if i go to another page on my computer i forget why i opened a new tab
it takes me three times as long to get things done.

does anyone have any tips? i am looking for books etc. i can't be the only one living with a god awful memory.

Thanks.
Tom fod
Administrator

Re: Poor memory

Post by Tom fod »

Hi and welcome.

It's frustrating, my memory seems to be powered by the avoidance of getting things wrong/letting people down, but not sure that is a healthyor good way to be. Try to find a system that appeals and/or tweak it to tailor it to yourself.

https://qz.com/1213768/the-forgetting-c ... -memorize/
Tom
Moderator/Administrator

With a foot full of bullets I tried to run faster but I just hobbled on to the next disaster.
(from Peter and the Test Tube Babies, Foot Full of Bullets)
HorseCar

Post by HorseCar »

My memory is bad too. It’s really frustrating and sad at times. I cannot remember things I used to know by heart and often forget important family memories. My girlfriend is already used to me forgetting something we did together. But I really cannot remember so many things it makes me sad.
And I don’t know what I can do about that because there is no proper cure for this condition. I would like to take some pills to make my memory better or do some exercises, but I cannot find any online. The only thing I found was the [Illegal URL removed by Admin], which showed my memory was not great.
Last edited by Tom fod on Wed Dec 27, 2023 1:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Forum rules Breach!
ravenm26

Post by ravenm26 »

My Memory can be very fragmented when it comes to ages of people I know as well as some experience’s I had but when it comes to pop culture or history it’s a little bit better . As for tips on help with memory things

Start by doing a verbal or physical check of things you need for the next day the day before and before you go out the door put it on something you’ll see right way in the morning .
Gabbyy Alex

Post by Gabbyy Alex »

Memory is one of the most important aspect of someone that we should not joke about anytime!
Auron
Power poster

Post by Auron »

I literally couldn't remember my username, password or even the email address I joined this forum with, and that's why all my revisits are several years apart!
FrankieSoup
Regular Poster

Post by FrankieSoup »

hahahalife wrote: Thu Dec 10, 2020 9:05 pm My memory is awful.
people say i am smart but i am really frustrated
if i go to another page on my computer i forget why i opened a new tab
it takes me three times as long to get things done.

does anyone have any tips? i am looking for books etc. i can't be the only one living with a god awful memory.

Thanks.
I rely heavily on tech and a bullet journal for this.

Basically, I keep every tab open on my web browser until I've finished with it, so at the moment it looks like this:

So right now I'm doing Xmas shopping - I keep tabs open on my xmas window until I've ordered the thing and it's arrived. Once it's all done, I'll close the window.

I've gone one window per university essay, one for life admin, and one for fun internetting... It drives everyone who looks at my computer that isn't me into a rage, but I don't forget stuff that way.

For essay writing, I use a super wide monitor that I plug into my laptop and I have the essay browser window open on one side and the word document open on he other so I don't have to click on anything to see it, which minimises the risk of distraction.

I've also been known to stick a post-it note on my screen so that when I have a break in my work, I don't forget what topic I was writing about when I come back to the computer.

There's a really good 'How to ADHD' video about bullet journaling on YouTube and that really works for me.

Other stuff I do - set alarms for everything I have to go to ever - so, say I've got the dentist, I put it in my computer calendar and set reminders for the week before, the day before, the hour before, and the journey time + five minutes before. And I do the same on my phone (I use a nokia because I don't have to remember to charge it).

That's another thing, actually - if you can find simpler versions of stuff you have, that really helps. The nokia is great for me because each charge lasts 2-3 weeks! We also have docking bays for the tablet we use in the living room and for all the console controllers so that just putting them away is charging them.

So much solidarity, friend. Memory issues are so much extra work, which takes even more energy, which impacts memory, which takes energy which impacts memory... and so on. Hopefully other people can recommend some things - I'm keen to see what others do.
Corketta

Post by Corketta »

HorseCar wrote: Fri Aug 19, 2022 4:11 am My memory is bad too. It’s really frustrating and sad at times. I cannot remember things I used to know by heart and often forget important family memories. My girlfriend is already used to me forgetting something we did together. But I really cannot remember so many things it makes me sad.
And I don’t know what I can do about that because there is no proper cure for this condition. I would like to take some pills to make my memory better or do some exercises, but I cannot find any online. The only thing I found was the [Illegal URL removed by Admin], which showed my memory was not great.

Maybe keep a journal and log things you do or want to remember so you can refer back?
Last edited by Tom fod on Wed Dec 27, 2023 1:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Forum rules Breach! Horsecar Banned