Living alone

Cooking, finances, shopping and any regular tasks that are challenging

Moderator: Moderator Team

enigma
New member - welcome them!

Living alone

Post by enigma »

I am going to move out permanently soon and the one thing I fear is my constant forgetfulness! Even if I write myself reminders on my phone or on paper, I can be so immersed in whatever it is I am doing that I end up forgetting to even look at the reminder! I have made a lot of blunders in the past being so forgetful and nothing really seems to help. I am wondering how other dyspraxics living alone cope? I have lived out before but I never had a permanent job (I am a part time private tutor) so I never had many responsibilities to 'remember'.
Xenavire
Power poster

Re: Living alone

Post by Xenavire »

Alarms. When you need a reminder, multiple alarms are a lifesaver. Dentist? Alarm. Feed the cats? Alarm. Work? LOTS of alarms.

The nice thing is that just setting the alarm can help you remember, so on occasion you will be ready before your alarm even goes off.

The other trick, always be early. Trying to be on time means always being late, so I give myself up to an hour, quite frequently, of extra prep time. I don't waste time either, I get ready at a normal speed, and I'm usually early, but then there are those days where you have to go to the toilet, go back for something you forgot, and spend twice as long getting your belt, shoes, tie, hair etc looking half decent.

Routine doesn't hurt either - when I get up for work I follow a set order. Bathroom, brealfast, walk and feed dog, work. Not difficult, always fairly reliable.
enigma

Post by enigma »

Thanks for the reply. I do set lots of alarms but if I am say reading a book, I will be so immersed that I would pop the alarm off and continue reading (convincing myself I will 'remember' to get ready in a minute) and then forget! :( Sounds like a comedy but it's sadly reality.
Xenavire
Power poster

Post by Xenavire »

Yep, I do the same. Funnily enough, the trick is more alarms - once you get to the second or third alarm you are nice and annoyed, and it's harder and harder to ignore. And after enough time, it just becomes a habit to get up after the first one.

Not that I don't still make occasional mistakes, but it's a lot less common when I have more reminders.
hahahalife

Post by hahahalife »

Routine is everything for me. if i have an appointment i tell people i have to make it the same time same day every week.
maybe shopping or laundry need to be an appointment for you.
I have two paper lists on my fridge, one for things to do and one for things to buy, so i can write them down as soon as i think of them.
i use the notes feature on my phone too.
xxx