Sensory overload

Cooking, finances, shopping and any regular tasks that are challenging

Moderator: Moderator Team

BecaLindley
Getting settled in

Sensory overload

Post by BecaLindley »

Does anyone else struggle with sensory overload? Anyone one got any tips?

Currently, my tools are to take regular breaks. To try and introduce myself slowly/gently to new experiences.

Also, not exactly a coping tool, but i find it much easier to cope with loud/busy places when im somewhere I already know and/or I have some sense of control

philm
Getting settled in

Re: Sensory overload

Post by philm »

What of your senses would you say are impacted the most?
BecaLindley
Getting settled in

Post by BecaLindley »

Noise mainly. Sometimes flashing lights but thats normally only with noise. Im okay with most smells but I struggle at markets because of the smell of raw meat and fish.

But yeah, noise is the worse. Struggling alot at this time of year with fireworks.
Xenavire
Power poster

Post by Xenavire »

I have issues with sound and smell a lot, and actual overloads are almost always caused by sound (and rarely by smell.) I have issues with touch/taste/temperature too though, and light can get me if I'm already being overwhelmed.

But by and large, overlapping sounds/excessive volume will give me headaches. I'll also basically lose all ability to communicate because I stop being able to understand who is talking to me. So crowds/parties are awful, noisy restaurants are unpleasant too. Any noisy place where I am expected to have a conversation just becomes a source of frustration.

On the smells side, cucumbers and watermelons make me physically ill if I smell them, and most perfumes cause headaches and coughing fits (the stronger it is, the worse I'm affected.)

Light, as I said, tends to get me if I'm already feeling unwell or overwhelmed. Too bright (and sometimes too dimly lit) and I'll also get headaches.

Touch, taste and temperature aren't so bad, but they do pile in once I have a splitting headache. Once I reach a certain point I usually need to go take a walk in a cold, breezy area (so summer sucks for me.)

Other than staying hydrated, properly fed, and having a couple of painkillers handy for emergencies, I don't have any real tios. I just avoid parties and crowds whenever possible.
I-wouldnt
New member - welcome them!

Post by I-wouldnt »

I'm autistic, so sensory overload is the crux of my existence lol. Hopefully these suggestions might help-

Bring earphones everywhere. Even if you're in a setting where having earphones on would be a faux pas, you can escape to a bathroom and put them in for a few minutes.

Take a page out of the autistic survival guide and stim! Stimming is short for "self-stimulation behaviors" and we rely on it to cope with sensory overload. When I have sensory overload, sometimes I slowly rock back and forth, flap my hands, tap my fingers, braid my hair, or pet something soft. The possibilities are endless.

Lastly, when I'm in a busy environment, it helps me to focus on one individual sound.

Best wishes,
I-wouldnt