Weight Lifting and Strength Training form

Cooking, finances, shopping and any regular tasks that are challenging

Moderator: Moderator Team

adamb123
New member - welcome them!

Weight Lifting and Strength Training form

Post by adamb123 »

Hey guys,

I recently was diagnosed with dyspraxia earlier this year and at the time it felt like a big weight had been lifted as I finally understood things, but now as time has passed on its starting to just make me feel crap as it means things seem to be a lot harder for me to do.

I'm a 25-year-old man and recently I decided to take up weightlifting as I've always been skinny and wanted to change that, so far so good I started obsessively researching how to create a good routine and focus on building a base of strength with low reps, as suggested by many powerlifters, before going on to build muscle.

I've been lifting weights for around 9 months now and since then multiple PT's have given up on me, I find it really really hard to know if my body is doing the right thing, say when doing a squat or a bench press and my lower back tends to curve excessively on both the squat and the deadlift.

I've watched form videos multiple times from established powerlifters but as soon as I go into the gym to do the movement none of it makes sense. is this a symptom of dyspraxia? has anyone managed to find any ways to get the form down when lifting heavy weights? I'm doing a linear progression program at the moment and constantly I plateau because my form is bad, I'm a bit worried that ill injure myself

I feel like I'm beating my head against a wall because no matter what I do when it comes down to it I can't understand what my body is doing and it never makes any sense! I also have anxiety and this tends to make it worse because I overthink it to the point of exhaustion.

the psychologist also said that I may have ADHD but he just kind of left it open and never expanded on it so that has caused me a lot of anxiety to be fair because its the unknown

I feel like I've gone on a rant/stream of consciousness here so let me know if you need more info

thanks
Jim
Super poster

Re: Weight Lifting and Strength Training form

Post by Jim »

A lack of co-ordination is quite common amongst dyspraxics.

I guess weight training, and actually many forms of gym exercise can be dangerous if you do it incorrectly or have poor posture and co-ordination.

But that doesn’t mean you shouldn’t do it.

I’m not sporty, nor Athletic. I don’t go to a gym but I do exercise.

I know that I’m unlikely to get an athletic figure, nor some impressive sickpack or biceps 💪 so I’ve learnt to not aspire to something which for me is basically unachievable.

I’m not very strong and I’m very bad at things like sit-ups or push-ups. I actually hurt myself trying to do them. So I don’t force myself to do anything which causes me too much discomfort or if a good technique eludes me.

What I do.. do is plenty of walking, usually a minimum of 8 hours per week, and between 5 to 7 hours on a static exercise bike. This keeps me fit. I used to do rowing too, which I enjoyed but poor technique damaged my abdomen. Plus I maintain a brief daily session of very basic light training weight training using filled 2L water bottles, and a set of cast iron dumbbells which are current set to about 8kg (maybe slightly heavier) each.

This is enough for me.. I’m a bit of a lanky git.. with pathetically thin arms etc 🤣 but I know that I’ve reached my personal peak and am relatively toned if a bit skeletal in places... I still have a slight belly and double chin though 🤣

Its about about finding what fits you, what you can do, getting into a routine and then maintaining it.
“When the moon hits your eye like a big pizza pie
That's amore” :whistle:
Tom fod
Administrator

Post by Tom fod »

adamb123 wrote: Thu Nov 28, 2019 12:19 pm . . . I've been lifting weights for around 9 months now and since then multiple PT's have given up on me, I find it really really hard to know if my body is doing the right thing, say when doing a squat or a bench press and my lower back tends to curve excessively on both the squat and the deadlift.

I've watched form videos multiple times from established powerlifters but as soon as I go into the gym to do the movement none of it makes sense. is this a symptom of dyspraxia? has anyone managed to find any ways to get the form down when lifting heavy weights? I'm doing a linear progression program at the moment and constantly I plateau because my form is bad, I'm a bit worried that ill injure myself

I feel like I'm beating my head against a wall because no matter what I do when it comes down to it I can't understand what my body is doing and it never makes any sense! I also have anxiety and this tends to make it worse because I overthink it to the point of exhaustion.

the psychologist also said that I may have ADHD but he just kind of left it open and never expanded on it so that has caused me a lot of anxiety to be fair because its the unknown
Hi Adam and welcome

Uncertainty definitely seems to be our enemy in a lot of cases and getting and following clear instructions consistently can be a struggle. Have any of your PT's indicated why they find you difficult to work with? Have you mentioned Dyspraxia to any of them?

Another thing some dyspraxics have issues with is hyper mobility and in some cases difficulty with muscle tone.

ADHD does seem to coexist for some people with Dyspraxia, but lack of focus can sometimes be due to anxiety too.

Have you googled? I searched Dyspraxia and weights and came up with this:
https://www.realworldfitness.co.uk/stre ... dyspraxia/

Be careful googling though! There is some utter codswallop about Dyspraxia on the internet. Please see our Help Section under Day to Day Living
Tom
Moderator/Administrator

With a foot full of bullets I tried to run faster but I just hobbled on to the next disaster.
(from Peter and the Test Tube Babies, Foot Full of Bullets)
Jim
Super poster

Post by Jim »

Tom fod wrote: Fri Nov 29, 2019 10:53 pm Uncertainty definitely seems to be our enemy in a lot of cases and getting and following clear instructions consistently can be a struggle. Have any of your PT's indicated why they find you difficult to work with? Have you mentioned Dyspraxia to any of them?
I think this, for me is a reason why I’m so content and comfortable boycotting the whole gym environment and completely eschewing any kind of person trainer.

I want to be in control of my program and I know how to motivate myself.

In my view, a personal trainer would conflict with my personal goals because they might to seek to railroad me into things that I’m not comfortable with. Plus doing it all myself away from the gym environment gives me the flexibility to exercise when and how I want to... or at least to tailor it around my day to day commitments.
“When the moon hits your eye like a big pizza pie
That's amore” :whistle:
Helenehbpt

Post by Helenehbpt »

Any decent pt should be working with what you feel comfortable and enjoy doing.
As a personal trainer and exercise instructor myself, with Dyspraxia/ADHD there are always adaptions that can and should be made to give confidence in a movement. I get it!
My advice would be to work with a personal trainer who understands the situation. Always be open. It's really important.
I would recommend using machines to start off with as they will help set the body in the right position. Keep weights light until you feel confident.
But have someone with you so you can learn the movement well. It's so worth it. Take notes or photos on how the machine is set up so you can come back and set up with confidence yourself.
You Can Do It.. absolutely.
It's worth it x
Emeid

Post by Emeid »

It's fantastic that you decided to change and become better but always remember to love yourself. You don't have to be a handsome, pumped-up guy to be "fit" for someone. However, you are better off taking various protein supplements from Illegal URL removed to gain weight faster and reach your goal. But also don't forget to be careful and make sure that working out doesn't worsen your condition in any way but instead keeps you in shape. Also, ask your doctor what supplements are best for you and whether they can be used for your condition. Good luck!
Last edited by Tom fod on Sun Nov 14, 2021 4:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Forum rules Breach!
Nardeant

Post by Nardeant »

Hi! If it were dyspraxia, it would have been noticeable since childhood, and your parents would certainly have gone to the doctor. I think it's difficult for you to do sports now because you've never done it before. You just need to calm down and start actively practicing. You can try marmalades at https://www.wildorchardhemp.com/product-category/delta-9-gummies/ they help me calm down, and maybe I will help you in your training. Good luck to you!
Tom fod
Administrator

Post by Tom fod »

DanielWilliams wrote: Sat Jul 30, 2022 12:16 pm I am so sorry that you are faced with such a disease, but I want to believe that it will bother you less and less with age. If you want to increase muscle mass, I can advise you to start exercising, but without a lot of additional weight, because the more weight you lift, the more your disease worries you.
Dyspraxia is NOT a disease Your post is offensive! BANNED !
Tom
Moderator/Administrator

With a foot full of bullets I tried to run faster but I just hobbled on to the next disaster.
(from Peter and the Test Tube Babies, Foot Full of Bullets)