Feeling overwhelmed.

Cooking, finances, shopping and any regular tasks that are challenging

Moderator: Moderator Team

Lainey40
New member - welcome them!

Feeling overwhelmed.

Post by Lainey40 »

Hi everyone, I was only diagnosed as having dyspraxia and vision stress last week and I am so overwhelmed. I was at a hospital appointment today. 1st time at this dept. When I arrived I asked for directions and I lost her at her first direction. I walked around till I found someone else who could help and then a 3rd person. I ended up leaving after my appointment quite upset. Had this been pre diagnosis I wouldve put it down to being bad with directions but today it's all a bit much as I'm slowly realising why I'm a certain way. Please tell me this gets easier .
Xenavire
Power poster

Re: Feeling overwhelmed.

Post by Xenavire »

It does and it doesn't. You aren't going to wake up someday and find that everything is suddenly "normal" (for lack of a better term.) But once you have accepted it you'll realise that despite all the things you struggle with, there is plenty you are capable of or even excel at.

As time goes on, either through self discovery or from advice, you'll find ways to cope, even adjust, to whatever particular aspects of Dyspraxia affect you.

As an example - I'm fine at telling time. But I will easily forget scheduled events, even if they occur daily. So I set myself alarms to remind me, at the right time, every day. Because of that, I'm just as capable as anyone else (assuming I don't forget to set the alarms in the first place!)

So don't worry too much. I know the idea of being different from a lot of other people is a scary prospect. I found out when I was twelve, so I have been living with this knowledge for eighteen years. I've survived and adapted, and I promise, if you don't let yourself get overwhelmed, you can too. The hardest part might just be coming to terms with it.

After all, nothing about your body has changed since before you received this news. Only your perception of yourself. You are the same person, with the same problems. You coped before, and you can cope now.
Tom fod
Administrator

Re: Feeling overwhelmed.

Post by Tom fod »

I like to liken it with living with a mischievious goblin. Some days I can outwit him by focusing hard and keeping him in check with humour and good grace. Other days he/it firmly has the upper hand and there is much wailing and gnashing of teeth from me.

Hospitals are confusing at the best of times and if our minds are running at 100mph panic can and does ensue.
Definitely try to find some counselling or look at mindfulnss. Venting here is also v much encouraged.
Tom
Moderator/Administrator

With a foot full of bullets I tried to run faster but I just hobbled on to the next disaster.
(from Peter and the Test Tube Babies, Foot Full of Bullets)