Hello ams personal hygiene

Cooking, finances, shopping and any regular tasks that are challenging

Moderator: Moderator Team

Mandades
New member - welcome them!

Hello ams personal hygiene

Post by Mandades »

Hi all
Thanks for adding me. My son is 18 and has dyspraxia. I've mentioned this group many times but he's never got around to joining so I'm doing it instead 😆
He's really bad at teeth brushing for several reasons : doesn't like the feel of the brush mostly (doesn't like taste of toothpaste either but we use several different types so that's ok).
I guess he's also a bit lazy/forgetful about the regime.
Have you found any different way to keep your teeth really clean? I'm desperate for him to get this sorted as he has good teeth and if he hates toothbrushing I know he'll loathe tooth extraction. He won't see a dentist at all. Also nail clipping 🙄 he hates this although I do it for him - I've seen some of you use nail files which seems like a great idea. He is very sensory in many ways. I'm considering getting him a "body bag" to relax in. He's intelligent and at college but I know some of these issues will hold him back if/when he leaves home.
Thanks for reading x
Xenavire
Power poster

Re: Hello ams personal hygiene

Post by Xenavire »

I had several similar issues when I was around his age (and I still do to an extent.)

First off, alarms. For any daily activity, setting an alarm on his phone with a reminder is a good way to get him to start and stick to a routine. I frequently forgot to brush, and because I didn't enjoy it in the first place, I needed something to motivate me. Alarms certainly helped.

You may want to relay a story of mine too - it may serve as a nice warning. In short, I ended up with a cracked tooth, and because I wasn't taking good enough care of my oral hygiene, it ended up infected. Put plainly, it was the single worst pain I have ever endured in my life (well beyond even being kicked in the man-parts, which until that point, I considered the pinnacle of pain.) The root canal wasn't so bad, and the relief was immediate, but being in that position at all is something I regret and do not want to experience ever again.

Another thing that may help - an electric toothbrush. Manual brushing isn't so bad once you get used to it, but a good electric brush takes the stress out of maintaining your oral hygiene, plus you can get ones with timers, making it even easier.

As for nails, nail files are great, but he should really get a handle on trimming his own nails and finishing up with the nail file. As long as he doesn't make them too short, it shouldn't be too uncomfortable, and cleaning off the rough edges should finish it off nicely.

Lastly - dentist needs to be mandatory. I regret not going for a long period, and unless he wants extreme issues in his future, he should bite the proverbial bullet and make regular trips. Discomfort at the dentist is worth it to avoid extreme pain, speaking from experience.
Tom fod
Administrator

Post by Tom fod »

Mandades wrote: Sun Sep 22, 2019 12:26 pm Hi all
Thanks for adding me. My son is 18 and has dyspraxia. I've mentioned this group many times but he's never got around to joining so I'm doing it instead 😆
He's really bad at teeth brushing for several reasons : doesn't like the feel of the brush mostly (doesn't like taste of toothpaste either but we use several different types so that's ok).
I guess he's also a bit lazy/forgetful about the regime.
Have you found any different way to keep your teeth really clean? I'm desperate for him to get this sorted as he has good teeth and if he hates toothbrushing I know he'll loathe tooth extraction. He won't see a dentist at all. Also nail clipping 🙄 he hates this although I do it for him - I've seen some of you use nail files which seems like a great idea. He is very sensory in many ways. I'm considering getting him a "body bag" to relax in. He's intelligent and at college but I know some of these issues will hold him back if/when he leaves home.
Thanks for reading x
Hi and welcome.

Aside from physical pain there's the financial pain of paying for treatment in the future. Some Dyspraxics do have more severe sensory issues so suggest a trip to the GP and see if that yields an improvement. Not best at remembering or bothering back then. You've reminded me I need to go back to dentist as cancelled last checkup in May when I was ill.

There are also various closed Dyspraxia groups on Facebook plus www.dyspraxialifemagazine.co.uk and Dyspraxia Blogs from the likes of the Dyspraxic Doctor

While I find personally found it patronising, the following might be helpful: https://www.fantasticdyspraxic.co.uk/de ... dyspraxia/
Please note this site offers paid-for products that are NOT endorsed by Dyspraxicadults.org.uk.
Tom
Moderator/Administrator

With a foot full of bullets I tried to run faster but I just hobbled on to the next disaster.
(from Peter and the Test Tube Babies, Foot Full of Bullets)
Asaded

Post by Asaded »

Can you tell me which dentist is the best to treat?
UnaMorgan

Post by UnaMorgan »

When it comes to sensory issues, finding alternatives can be helpful. For toothbrushing, have you tried electric toothbrushes? They can provide a different sensation that might be more tolerable. Also, there are toothpaste flavors specifically designed for sensitive individuals. You can also choose gentle dentists who can work well with kids, like eastmahoganydental.ca. As for nail clipping, nail files are indeed a fantastic option. You could also consider using a nail grinder if he finds it more comfortable.
Last edited by UnaMorgan on Tue Jul 04, 2023 8:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
Tom fod
Administrator

Post by Tom fod »

Giibbons wrote: Mon Jul 03, 2023 10:02 am Oh, my son also has this desease and it's impossible to clip his nails

Referring to dyspraxia as a disease is both wrong and offensive
Banned and reported
Tom
Moderator/Administrator

With a foot full of bullets I tried to run faster but I just hobbled on to the next disaster.
(from Peter and the Test Tube Babies, Foot Full of Bullets)