Difficult getting ready in mornings on time

Cooking, finances, shopping and any regular tasks that are challenging

Moderator: Moderator Team

Matt123456
New member - welcome them!

Difficult getting ready in mornings on time

Post by Matt123456 »

Hi,

Does anybody found getting ready in the morning difficult?

At the moment I’m writing a morning checklist for myself - things to do in the morning, and I’m trying to practice it.

Also I’m going to write an evening checklist, with things like put clothes and shower stuff ready for the next morning, so it makes it easier.

With the mornings I find
organisation difficult and staying on task, and having a good consistent pace

I’m in my early 20’s, and since at least age 11 I’ve struggled with mornings - getting up at the time I need to (when I haven’t had high anxiety first thing in morn) - I find it hard to get up because of lack of motivation for getting ready, and not looking forward to getting ready because I find it difficult and boring.

I’m not working at the moment but am doing volunteering and looking for work experience (to help me get a job) with a scheme with the job centre - I’m looking forward to getting a job, especially as I find the volunteering boring at the moment

At the moment I find getting ready in the morning a boring and ‘endlessly-seeming’ task

I also get low mood and anxiety on and off, which don’t help the mornings

Has anybody got any advice for improving/overcoming this?

Thanks!
Tom fod
Administrator

Re: Difficult getting ready in mornings on time

Post by Tom fod »

I find the lack of a have of an "I have to" or more importantly an "I want and so I must do' structure make things difficulty especially where there is uncertainty about what is required of me, which then causes the stress or over-thinking and worrying. At weekends when I don't have work and no commitments to anyone else, I'm not v good, at all, at getting up showered and out of my flat or on with my chores (which are piling up while I try unsuccessfully to prioritise, knuckle down and tick them off as done rather than waste time theorising about how I should be tackling them.

You could try on the basis that getting better now will make it easier once you do have a job to go to and particular things you want.and have to achieve.
Tom
Moderator/Administrator

With a foot full of bullets I tried to run faster but I just hobbled on to the next disaster.
(from Peter and the Test Tube Babies, Foot Full of Bullets)
Matt123456

Post by Matt123456 »

Hi Tom sorry for the late reply

Thanks that makes sense !

Yes I’m going to try to keep adopting that frame of mind, and improving the mornings now so that it’s easier when I have a job to go to.

And I’m definitely going to carry on with my ‘evening checklist’ , which will mean there’s less things for me to do in the morning

Matt
Tom fod
Administrator

Post by Tom fod »

Matt

Not at all. Immediate responses are not required.

A guy I know tried to NLP whereby he set his alarm for two minutes after getting into bed in the evening to then heave himself out of bed so that his body would perform same movement when it went off again in the morning.

Sounds bit too much like crazy to me!
Tom
Moderator/Administrator

With a foot full of bullets I tried to run faster but I just hobbled on to the next disaster.
bookworm
Getting settled in

Post by bookworm »

Yes, I find this extremely difficult! I'm always getting distracted and I'm always late for everything!
Cmc

Post by Cmc »

I feel like work is a breeze compared to getting up on time, not loosing track of time whilst I'm getting ready, showering, sorting out the kids' uniforms, ironing my clothes and driving to work.

I do suffer from fatigue and do not experience restorative sleep so I really struggle to get up. When not exhausted, I try to get everything ready the night before. I am thinking about having my shower the night before. Then it would just be a case of getting dressed after a quick wash and brushing my teeth.

My current job provided free meals but I'm changing roles soon and really not looking forward to a packed lunch fiasco. I think that will just about finish me off. I'll need to do something like salad leaves in a bag and cherry tomatoes with pre sliced cheese because I don't think there us a takeaway nearby.

I retrained a couple of years ago. More than once, when I was on different training placements as a mature student, colleagues nagged me not to buy sandwiches because it was a waste of money. They enjoyed merrily totalling up how much I was wasting. Ergaps they were making assumptions about my finances as I was a student at the time. Regardless, I felt infantalised.

Well, this advice was based on other people's values and life experiences. Therefore, I tried to explain that making packed lunches was one job too many for me and that as a financially secure adult it is up to me how I manage my money. I did point out that it they needn't worry as I could offset the cost of lunch against the saving I'd made by not smoking or drinking. :rolleyes:
Tom fod
Administrator

Post by Tom fod »

Hi Cmc
Welcome. Glad you've found us

I've def found not having the TV on in morning helps, as does the avoidance of temptation to fiddle on my phone (other than to turn alarm off once out of bed). The Snooze button does get hit a couple of times but since my hours are flexible I don't have a formal I must be there time to make sure I'm out and heading for the bus stop. If I don't have anything to be up and out for, I'm especially expert, indeed World Class at Malingering.

You could try a bit of NLP where you get into bed at night having set alarm for two minutes hence. Alarm goes off you get out of bed. The theory is that this is meant to programme yourself to do that the next morning too. (obvs you need to reset your alarm or have another set for the morning!) I admit I've not tried it myself as it sounds 'a bit too Guantanamo for lazy arse me', but I I'll share idea just in case you feel it is worth a try.

If you're not frittering away cash on smoking/drinking and you prefer to buy yourself lunch that is your prerogative! I'm very much a miser so I do try to discipline myself to make sandwiches the night before. However, I have had days where Ive forgotten or picked up the wrong sandwich box in the morning (typically containing even more unappetising leftovers). It's not a financial necessity for me either. You could also argue that buying lunch will definitely drag you out way from your workstation and could help ensure you have a proper lunch break. My sandwiches usually get eaten well before Elevenses (Ten or sometimes even nine, depending on level of tastiness of what I've prepared! Bought sandwiches are so often tastier/more appealing.
Tom
Moderator/Administrator