Drinking and addictive behaviour

Cooking, finances, shopping and any regular tasks that are challenging

Moderator: Moderator Team

Tam1
New member - welcome them!

Drinking and addictive behaviour

Post by Tam1 »

Does anyone else here go through phases where it’s all or nothing I didn’t drink for 8 months but in the last week I have drunk a lot 6 days out of 7 I don’t think I have a problem just am bored and lonely
Tom fod
Administrator

Re: Drinking and addictive behaviour

Post by Tom fod »

After not drinking for ages to having alcohol six days out of seven is going to make you feel like things are suddenly a bit out of control. I guess it is about finding positive alternatives though these can be difficult to find and/or stick to sometimes. Is there anywhere you can go to have human contact in doing something you enjoy? Not necessarily/hopefully avoiding excessive amounts of alcohol?
Tom
Moderator/Administrator

With a foot full of bullets I tried to run faster but I just hobbled on to the next disaster.
(from Peter and the Test Tube Babies, Foot Full of Bullets)
MixyGrism

Post by MixyGrism »

You're right, Tom. I also used to drink because of boredom, but it turned into an addiction in the end. So, try to find something to distract you from these thoughts. But, you know, you can't change loneliness with a bottle of wine. As a recovering alcoholic, I've had plenty of regrets to count, and the [URL and user removed permanently] have critically changed my life. Unfortunately, I can't turn back time, but you can get out of your comfort zone and start a supervised detox. I've been sober for almost 8 years, and, believe me, nothing compares with this feeling.
Last edited by Tom fod on Tue Jan 18, 2022 8:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Advertising without prior permission!
Aurneriel

Post by Aurneriel »

I've encountered this too. My ex-husband (thank God) drank all the time when he came back from his flight. He's a trucker. My father also poured drinks for him, and they could get so drunk at dinner that they slept for days afterwards. During that time it was as if my husband wasn't there, he drank and slept. He didn't eat, but sometimes he had a snack. When he got a stomach ulcer, he didn't stop.
The father had recently died of covid, and the husband continued to drink. He would just find an excuse. I advised him to come here [URL removed] to fix the problem. He didn't even last a week there, he attended classes and kept drinking. Of course, if a person doesn't want to quit the addictive activity himself, no one can help him. We divorced, I took my daughter and started living alone. He seems to have stopped drinking, but I don't want to put up with him. I am afraid that he will break again.
Last edited by Tom fod on Tue Jan 18, 2022 8:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Commercial Advertising contravenes Group rules. This is your final warning!
FrankieSoup
Regular Poster

Post by FrankieSoup »

Putting my ’toxic positivity’ hat on, I’d say I have the ability to form habits really easily. So, while I wouldn’t say I’ve had a problem with alcohol, I did get into the habit of having a glass of wine with dinner every night for about two years…

It’s much harder to get out of habits, unfortunately, so it felt odd for a while not drinking, but I haven’t had any alcohol for about a year now :) replaced it with fizzy water and it was fine :) I don’t miss it.

I think in general, habits are like gardens. Something is going to pop up and fill any spare time/soil - if you don’t want to make bad habits/weeds, you need to put some good habits in place first.
barnmccroy

Post by barnmccroy »

Unfortunately, according to statistics, one in five people experiences a form of alcohol dependence. Even the mildest form sometimes leads to bad consequences. I will be honest with you and tell you that I was addicted to alcohol and drugs in the past. I had a period in my life when I just wanted to die. The only thing that saved me was alcohol. When I drank, I forgot about all my problems for a while. I found myself in a completely different world, where everything was peaceful. Now I remember that period with fear. The worst thing was that I started taking drugs. My salvation was getting [illegal advertising url removed by admin] in time. I think I was on the verge of death.
petrderbikov

Post by petrderbikov »

Hi. I think that you should consume alcohol wisely. That means if you want to, you can drink a little bit and not a lot. For example, I like wine. It's important to choose high-quality and original wine. Recently NFC identification has appeared on the market which helps to prevent fraud involving wine. I think it is an important aspect because if you do not drink counterfeit wine you may have serious health problems.
Tom fod
Administrator

Post by Tom fod »

petrderbikov wrote: Mon Nov 07, 2022 11:37 am Hi. I think that you should consume alcohol wisely. That means if you want to, you can drink a little bit and not a lot. For example, I like wine. It's important to choose high-quality and original wine. Recently NFC identification has appeared on the market which helps to prevent fraud involving wine. I think it is an important aspect because if you do not drink counterfeit wine you may have serious health problems.
Naturally Good Advice
I suspect you mean if you do drink 'counterfeit' wine.

Please note if you're planning to add a link to a good source of good wine at cheap prices, Just don't !
Tom
Moderator/Administrator

With a foot full of bullets I tried to run faster but I just hobbled on to the next disaster.
(from Peter and the Test Tube Babies, Foot Full of Bullets)
Charlabried

Post by Charlabried »

It's important to find a balance and consume responsibly. Speaking of alcohol, I've recently come across wine identification for wine, which helps prevent fraud and ensures you're getting the real deal. It's crucial to prioritize your health and avoid counterfeit products that can cause serious issues. By the way, I've had my fair share of struggles with drugs and alcohol too. So, I know how crucial it is to know your limits. While dealing with my struggles, I found support through rehab [url removed by Admin]. They provided valuable assistance during my journey. Remember, it's all about making informed choices and caring for ourselves. If you ever need someone to talk to, don't hesitate to reach out.
Last edited by Tom fod on Fri May 19, 2023 4:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Advertising without prior permission!
Shadwell

Post by Shadwell »

as for myself, then I am tea total for years at a time, I will have a drink, but lucky if I feel up to it more than 1 day a year. like it has been 2-3 years now since my last alcholic drink.

my cousins came over from Australia, and boy could my cousin drink a sailor under the table, and couldn't understand what being tea total was until he met me, I had a couple of drinks with them on a couple of occassions, but he was knocking 10 pints like they were shorts, compared to my pint, and spent more time at the bar than actually sat down chatting to us, although found out he was chatting up the bar staff as well.

I just think more on the side of this is a total waste of money, I don't feel any different for it, the only thing different was my body not reacting the same, but my head is still as sober and remember absolutely everything in the morning.