Table manners

Cooking, finances, shopping and any regular tasks that are challenging

Moderator: Moderator Team

chloe
Getting settled in

Re: Table manners

Post by chloe »

I am realising how much I cheat and copy others, in particular my husband. I wait until he has started eating and then do what he does. A bit like what toddlers and young children do.
I am dumbfounded by where to start and how much I can manage and so on
On Sat I was given a cheeseburger and did not know where to start with it- eg eat it whole, cut it, use a knife or fork or just keep breaking it up in my fingers until it is bite sized or lick it or what, the heck to do-however I was hungry and don't remember how I got it down my neck. I looked to see how the others were eating and did my version of it. I only spilt a bit of sauce and a few chips but that is normal isn' t it?
Cx :-$
rhyds
Regular Poster

Post by rhyds »

Pooky: I think I pipped you to the nosiest ever eater at Peterborough (that said the cider played a part)...

I tend to wolf down food when I'm at home, my mother compares me to a JCB with a fork...

In resturants I tend to take my time and usually end up finishing last, performance anxiety maybe? :*(
chloe
Getting settled in

Post by chloe »

Please don't read this whilst you are eating!!
It is not just my slurping and slopping that is bad. It all comes across as bad manners, yet I had loads of training as a kid about manners and eating properly but it has always been a bit of an issue for me.
I can not believe I am admitting to all this. :blush:
The other thing that is bad is the burps- really loud. It used to be my party piece.
Some people find it amusing whilst others look as if they are about to throw up.Thing is I am quite petite and people are really surprised at the volume and duration of them. I really do try not to but sometimes they have a mind of their own. I go for months without it happenning and then they are really bad for a period of time. Regardless of what I have eaten etc. I always try to sit down whilst I am eating and take small bites etc and not swallow half the air from the room. At least now I have a bit more awareness of why it is happenning and can choose food etc that will cause me the least amount of challenges. :?:
Chloe
littlemadangel
Getting settled in

Post by littlemadangel »

My table manners are hopeless!
I cant seem to use a knife and fork together and in the right hands. My fork usually ends up in the right hand, it just feels more comfortable there for me!

Also, if we're in a restaurant or a hotel, and there's 2-3 sets of knifes and forks in front of me, I can never remember what way to start-i think its from the outside -inwards but I'm never too sure.

When I'm out with people now-e.g. work colleagues, I try not to choose anything that I know is going to make a mess or require too much effort.

I used to be like this with my boyfriend too, but he's dyspraxic too so he understands..And my family know what I'm like (and still have to cut up my food occassionally) so I dont really care.

I still cant really eat in front of more than say, 3 or 4 people, cos that just makes me feel really nervous and sick...and then I find I cant eat anything at all...
rhyds
Regular Poster

Post by rhyds »

I've also been told "outside-inwards", it works well as long as you don't grab the cutlery of the people sitting next to you...
blackbroom
Getting settled in

Post by blackbroom »

When I was at school I got badly bullied because of the way I ate. At primary school the teachers and dinner ladies got angry with me for eating too slowly, and at secondary school I kept getting called "disgusting" and a "slob" for the way I handled my cutlery and my food. It's only since I've been reading up about dyspraxia that I've realised that it was something I couldn't help, and I actually feel quite angry about the way I was treated.

Fortunately, I don't think my table manners stand out as particularly odd as an adult (my co-ordination is definitely better now), but it could be that I've just become less self-conscious about them.
mmatt
New member - welcome them!

Post by mmatt »

Table manners can easily be learned at home. But, if you want to learn it in a fun and interactive way you can download Maddie and Matt's A-Z's of Good Manners and Values. The app lets kids learn different values and good manners like respect, saying please and thank you, and about table manners. Maddie and Matt is a free app, and is compatible with iPad devices. Try it! I'm sure, you'll love it!
Clumsy_Not_Careless
Getting settled in

Post by Clumsy_Not_Careless »

^ I do a similar thing with hot dogs. I love a lot of filling with tomato sauce, onions the works but it can be incredible messy... My solution is eating the thing sideways- om nom nom :D
Moot
Power poster

Post by Moot »

Funnily enough, as someone wrote on the other page, I also tend to eat my burgers the wrong way up, though just seems natural for my hands to hold it that way. The fillings will come tumbling out whatever way it's held!

I don't hold my knife and fork in the proper hands; however I notice I'm not the only 'youngster' who does this so it's partly a generation thing. Just makes more comfort and sense to have fork in my right hand. My cutting with a knife is crappy and so people have pointed out, so it makes me more paranoid about people watching me eat (people shouldn't do that, anyway!!).

I fear I don't eat spaghetti correctly, either, and bits of spaghetti will hang from my mouth until I munch it up.

Also been told by mum I crunch loudly before... well I can't help it too much when it comes to cereals and apples? I'm not going to start munching too darn slowly. And I even gulp drink too loud sometimes! Butbut...

I guess I'm not great when it comes to food. :-k
Hopefully not making too many moot points... heh... *ahem* :D
lauraECFan
Power poster

Post by lauraECFan »

I tend to eat with my mouth open as I have problems with my jaw (too much cartlige) and sometimes it will click as I am eating. I used to be slow eating but now I eat really quickly (no idea why) and when I hold my knife and fork I am constantly changing them around. As for eating in public I generally don't care whos there lol I eat the way I am most comfortable with and if someone does not like it they can go stick their head in the sand :lol: May sound a bit nuts but its true
Animal lover forever
Bookworm forever
Live for today :)
if you have a dream chase it catch it and never let go of it
minilin

Post by minilin »

I couldn't use a knife and fork properly untill I was 12. I still find now that I will chop food up propelry then put my fork in my right hand and not bother with teh knife anymore. I swap cutlery round a lot and , to be honest, I sometimes still pick food up with my hands :(, not something I am entirely proud of, Obviously not if it's covered in sauce or whatever. I've also learnt to slow my eating down so that when out in restaurants or meeting new people I can take longer to think about keeping my mouth shut, not spilling food everywhere etc lol!
Ulalia07

Post by Ulalia07 »

Noisy eating is my pet hate so i don't do that. Missing my mouth? Holding cutlery the "wrong way", dropping stuff, spilling stuff, WEARING more food, yeah that's about right! :whistle:
puzzledbyadream

Post by puzzledbyadream »

Relate to a lot of this thread. I too hold burgers upside down! I am not very good with cutlery, I hold them in the "right" hands but I use my fork as a scoop rather than doing that odd thing where people put food on the back of it. I also drop food all the time and accidentally push food off the plate. At home I eat most things out of a bowl!

My boyfriend told me about 6 months ago that I ate with my mouth open and he wouldn't drop it. It upset me a lot and I've developed a real fear of eating with my mouth open because it's something I do unconsciously without realising it. I'm just so incredibly embarrassed.
All we have to do is get through the day.

I have a blog: http://www.outsiderlookingout.wordpress.com
Jim
Super poster

Post by Jim »

puzzledbyadream wrote:My boyfriend told me about 6 months ago that I ate with my mouth open and he wouldn't drop it. It upset me a lot and I've developed a real fear of eating with my mouth open because it's something I do unconsciously without realising it. I'm just so incredibly embarrassed.
That's the thing, there are things that we're either unaware of or actually have very little control over.

So it's annoying when someone else has to make an issue out of it.
“When the moon hits your eye like a big pizza pie
That's amore” :whistle:
Jo-
Getting settled in

Post by Jo- »

I eat way too fast which is ok at home but when out and about I regularly watch my husband as a cue to what a more acceptable speed should be. I also miss my mouth often or bash the cutlery into my teeth. I usually end up with food down my front and because of this I also tend to lean over my food to get a bit closer to the plate which also gives an impression that I'm merely shoveling it all in. My son does the same - poor husband despairs at us both!