Chopping and peeling

Cooking, finances, shopping and any regular tasks that are challenging

Moderator: Moderator Team

firemonkey
Power poster

Chopping and peeling

Post by firemonkey »

Cooking is one skill I struggle with. From organising myself to buy the ingredients(how the hell to people buy a week's worth of stuff for meals from scratch?) to preparing ie peeling and cutting veg , and following instructions and timings.

Granddaughter is getting me to cook a cottage pie tomorrow. The peeling and chopping I'm not looking forward to. The recipe calls for potatoes to be cooked to make mash. One reason I don't have potatoes apart from oven chips-peeling and cutting them. Have decided to cheat and use Smash instead.
I wish there was an easy way to peel and cut veg.
Andrew_S_Hatton
Power poster

Re: Chopping and peeling

Post by Andrew_S_Hatton »

I guess like most things the more we do it the easier it gets.

I am old and grew up being expected, wanting to help in the kitchen, back in the 1950 s and being expected to stir the whatever it was so it really became natural and most cooking involved raw materials, though we did have custard powder and some tinned vegetables, now we can buy meals that come ready made but I still prefer a home made one in most cases.

I hope it goes well, sadly I am virtually estranged from my children and have yet to see my grandchild., but I am not agitated by that as I get regular reports and know he is thriving.
Jim
Super poster

Post by Jim »

I think with chopping etc it’s just important to concentrate and take your time. It’s not like you have to chop things up at 100mph like a Michelin chef.
“When the moon hits your eye like a big pizza pie
That's amore” :whistle:
Andrew_S_Hatton
Power poster

Post by Andrew_S_Hatton »

Good points.

Doing things with a child, especially where there is already mutual respect, love and protective caring may also be an opportunity to help a child understand, that even dyspracics are whole people with strengths as well as challenges, like most folk.

It must be of use for a growing generation to learn about folk with hidden disabilities.
Jelly
New member - welcome them!

Post by Jelly »

I know this an older post but I just wanted to add that I'm a liability in the kitchen. So much so that I rarely cook, even though I kind of know the theory behind it. If I do find myself having to feed others I buy in frozen vegetables and the frozen mash is ridiculously simple to get right or use as a topping for fish pie, cottage pie etc. It saves me worrying about serving my guests little bits of me hidden inside their meal.
Wish90
Getting settled in

Post by Wish90 »

Yeah me too it's a pain. If I'm tired and don't concentrate I'm liable to chop my fingers off.