Defying Dyspraxia

Cooking, finances, shopping and any regular tasks that are challenging

Moderator: Moderator Team

FAndrews
Power poster

Defying Dyspraxia

Post by FAndrews »

Hi

Rather than having a grumble about how Dyspraxia is keeping us from accomplishing things and holding us back, what have you done despite Dyspraxia, anything that gives it the middle finger so to speak!
what I've done:

Recently I've started learning to play the guitar because I've always wanted to give it a go and thought Dyspraxia might be a problem, short answer: it isn't, my tutor has never noticed any issues or problems and says I'm making good progress :) also i happen to work with the elderly as a care worker despite the doctors telling my parents when i was born that i would be the one in care!

Your conditions don't define you, you define you :)

Felix
Tim G
Super poster

Re: Defying Dyspraxia

Post by Tim G »

you define you
i know that is me slightly mis quoting it but still very true and a good point

What I have done recently that defys or that dyspraxicis could have held be back from
- passed a course on electrical regulations - a very intense course, lots of information and maths to understand and lots of reading etc but i got through it, diden't think Iwould at times.
- Forklift and access equipment driving - not necessarily a recent thing but might as well include it
- Going out to clubs / bars on my own - dressed in the very much alternative cybergoth style and dance to acomplie it :evilb: (didn't think that would be me but i love it)

I don't want to post to be about me, me, me but its good to show other things we can do not always what we can't.
The real Mr Potato Head
shadowgirl021
Regular Poster

Post by shadowgirl021 »

I would say ironing. Could not iron at all until a year ago.

So yep one tiny victory for me :banana:
FAndrews
Power poster

Post by FAndrews »

that was my whole idea of this thread, rather than have a grumble about what we can't do, celebrate our little victories where we defy dyspraxia :) and Shadowgirl021 i can't iron either :( nice to know i'm not the only one who has trouble with it.
Tom fod
Administrator

Post by Tom fod »

I managed to repaint the ceiling in my shower room with a roller and I'm content with the result.
Tom
Moderator/Administrator

With a foot full of bullets I tried to run faster but I just hobbled on to the next disaster.
(from Peter and the Test Tube Babies, Foot Full of Bullets)
FAndrews
Power poster

Post by FAndrews »

well done, doing DIY usually scares the crap of me, so many things that can go wrong!

Also I'm going to my first singles night this Saturday evening, scary and exciting all at the same time, will write up a full report after woulds, wish me luck :)
shadowgirl021
Regular Poster

Post by shadowgirl021 »

I can iron now, its actually not about the ironing, I have learnt and been shown its about how you fold the clothes. if you fold the clothes in a good way, it actually does not matter that much, but obviously still have to iron.
Oh and if you have an amazing iron, that helps as well.

Maybe the biggest greatness if you will out of me having Dyspraxia, is having true friends who I know I can depend on and trust 100% and I have that with my friends.
dyspraxicyoungperson
Getting settled in

Post by dyspraxicyoungperson »

I have recently started horse riding which, I must be completely honest was due to my landlady's daughter who is 6, but I am really enjoying it and though it's scary I would definitely recommend it to others. I am taking a break from it as am still waiting for my pip to clone through.
Cailte50
New member - welcome them!

Post by Cailte50 »

I love this post! I was only diagnosed a month ago and in my late 40s,so I have had a lot of adjusting to do. It means that for all my life,until now, I assumed I was 'fine' and put pressure on myself to do things.Every single thing was always a struggle but I got there in the end and I am glad now I didnt know at the time about the Dyspraxia,because I feel now I would have held myself back and also been held back.

I did well in school,got my degree,got a post grad,got into a good job,I am happily married,with a house and financially secure(no debts apart from a mortgage,I am good with money). I can't drive,can't swim and didnt have children because I did feel something wasnt right with me(now I know). But I am proud of myself now and what I have achieved.Pre Covid, I have done a lot of travelling with my husband- I am great at organising trips,schedules,flights etc but ask me to find the way from A to B in a foreign country? Again,now I know why I can't but at those times,I let my husband do all the navigations around and I would take all the photos and notes(and panicking as well about my lack of map reading abilities).

But recently,in work,there was a major technical issue.I wouldnt take something like this on to look at.This time I did and I figured out solutions that have since been adopted and I am really proud of myself.Even my husband was proud of me as he knows I panic at things like this and he couldnt believe it when I told him.that I had offered to take the lead on figuring out solutions.

Success breeds success-I would say to anyone,we are more than our Dyspraxia.😁
BecaLindley
Getting settled in

Post by BecaLindley »

Recently becoming a fully qualified nurse! And working on a busy AMU (admissions) department