You know you're dyspraxic when

Cooking, finances, shopping and any regular tasks that are challenging

Moderator: Moderator Team

Mayonaka
Getting settled in

Re: You know you're dyspraxic when

Post by Mayonaka »

You know you’re dyspraxic when you knock over an entire store display, try to help pick it up, and then knock it down again...
Desert Rose
Regular Poster

Post by Desert Rose »

Mayonaka wrote:You know you’re dyspraxic when you knock over an entire store display, try to help pick it up, and then knock it down again...
You also know your dyspraxic when its impossible for you to carry a cup of tea somewhere without spilling half of it #-o
LizzyD
New member - welcome them!

Post by LizzyD »

You work in an all male maximum security prison and you rely on the prisoners to tell you how to leave for the night.
rmel82
Getting settled in

Post by rmel82 »

You can't read your own writing and are rubbish at team sports.
Desert Rose
Regular Poster

Post by Desert Rose »

rmel82 wrote:You can't read your own writing and are rubbish at team sports.
I was writing something in a diary today and when I looked over it again it was barely intelligible, and neither could I ever understand team sports, partly because I never understood rules and instructions and partially because I never was able to interact with team members well.
Daydreaming

Post by Daydreaming »

...I was sure, absolutely positive that the hospital appointment letter that I waited nearly a year for, said 10.50am.
I put it in my phone as 10.50am. I double checked the letter and it definitely said 10.50am. I wrote it on my kitchen calendar in big black marker - Hospital Appointment 10.50am.
On the day and on time, for once, I dug out the letter which also had directions to the hospital...there in bold red letters, clear as day, it said, APPOINTMENT AT 10.05am Nooooooooooooooooooo...
Wobbly21

Post by Wobbly21 »

I have just found this, I was diagnosed with dyspraxia late and to be honest always thought something was wrong with me. So many of the things you have all said on here have rang true with me, struggling to keep balance, forgetting things from two seconds ago, bashing into things and thinking things are lighter than they actually are, to name a few. If anyone on here is actually still on this forum thank you so much this has made be feel immeasurably better. Xx
Shadwell

Post by Shadwell »

Wobbly21 , myself and Tom are still here. I am not sure about the others that originally created this thread.
Tom fod
Administrator

Post by Tom fod »

Wobbly21 wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 6:24 pm I have just found this, I was diagnosed with dyspraxia late and to be honest always thought something was wrong with me. So many of the things you have all said on here have rang true with me, struggling to keep balance, forgetting things from two seconds ago, bashing into things and thinking things are lighter than they actually are, to name a few. If anyone on here is actually still on this forum thank you so much this has made be feel immeasurably better. Xx
Hi wobbly and welcome to the forum Glad you've found us

I only discovered and started on the journey to understanding and accepting my dyspraxic self in my mid-30s. Next Tuesday marks the 10th Anniversary of my joining the forum myself and 2,500 posts later, I'm still here (and probably driving other people away!)

Awareness and to a degree acceptance has come a long way, yet still has an awfully long way to go. This forum is in many ways a quiet backwater There are lots of people out there on Social Media in Facebook, Twitter, Insta, You Tube and other platforms. We've all trodden different paths to discovery so we seldom fit the same mould and can be like chalk and cheese despite our shared condition. That said we often have an entertaining story or two about our Dyspraxidents or other misadventures.

We seem to have regular readers but there's no pressure or obligation to post regularly. I moderate/participate on a number of Facebook-based Dyspraxia Groups and there can be some furious disagreements and fallings out. Two or more Neuro divergent folk disagreeing fundamentally often results in fire and fury so it's great that on the whole this group is generally more chilled.
Tom
Moderator/Administrator

With a foot full of bullets I tried to run faster but I just hobbled on to the next disaster.
(from Peter and the Test Tube Babies, Foot Full of Bullets)
BecaLindley
Getting settled in

Post by BecaLindley »

When your phone screen is smashed like a avocado
Dyspraxicstruggles

Post by Dyspraxicstruggles »

When you have to use a satnav to get to work every morning and STILL miss a turning.

When you catch your wrist on the door handle and bend it backwards, if it's not that, shoulder to the doorhandle.

Going to say something only for what comes out of your mouth is not the order you told it to come out in.

Dropping cutlery a number of times in the attempt to put it in the drying rack meaning you have to keep washing it up.

Missing the chair and ending up on the floor

Being the reason the workplace has a 'we are 0 days accident free' :bumps:
ravenm26

Post by ravenm26 »

When you push On a pull door
When you forget a item that you needed to get from the shop more than twice or when you have to question your self on what you just did

Saying something that sounds good in your head but comes out all jumbled up .
Mirak

Re:

Post by Mirak »

mr_mallow wrote: Sat Feb 18, 2006 12:59 am You know your dyspraxic when even doctors can't read your hand-writing!
I'll go you one better. You know you're dyspraxic when even pharmacists can't read your handwriting.
Dogheaded

Post by Dogheaded »

You know you're dyspraxic when you drop your fork on the floor 8 times in 30 minutes.