You know you're dyspraxic when

Cooking, finances, shopping and any regular tasks that are challenging

Moderator: Moderator Team

lauraECFan
Power poster

Re: You know you're dyspraxic when

Post by lauraECFan »

wow that must have been gutting. You know your dyspraxic when you loose your passport when out drinking and then get a phonecall the next morning (after returning at 3:30am) that it has been found and the people who found it actually kept it safe for me til I could come and collect it.
Animal lover forever
Bookworm forever
Live for today :)
if you have a dream chase it catch it and never let go of it
jad101
Getting settled in

Post by jad101 »

it was, luckily i stayed in the hostel free of charge once they heard my story and everyone who was staying in my room at my hostel rounded together to make sure i had a good time whilst i was stranded in canada.
calumfsinclair
Regular Poster

Post by calumfsinclair »

When your on dofe and you trip onto a stone in the campfire, you try to grab your mates arm, but instead grab his balls and still faceplant very near to a hot fire!
Sticks and stones will break your bones, but more often if your dyspraxic!!!
Captain_Ludd
Power poster

Post by Captain_Ludd »

calumfsinclair wrote:When your on dofe and you trip onto a stone in the campfire, you try to grab your mates arm, but instead grab his balls and still faceplant very near to a hot fire!
Sorry mate shouldn't laugh but LMAO :grin:
jade04smith90
New member - welcome them!

Post by jade04smith90 »

I am new to this forum new to dyspraxia but omg theses posts have had me in stiches glade im not alone in all the crazy little things I do I would comment a few of my own but would be here all week
Mys

Post by Mys »

You know your dyspraxic when you follow your friends advice and get lary to some big black kid when playing rugby and end up getting soccer punched by him and you don't even feel any pain
Willr0490
Power poster

Post by Willr0490 »

You accidentally buy a day return train ticket when you are going away for the entire weekend.
Shadwell

Post by Shadwell »

Willr0490

I ended up having to do that one night, the ticket conductor wouldn't sell me a single, even though there would be no trains running the opposite direction that night ie. left redding at 10pm, as got back to town at 12:30 am!! hmm. I wonder if anyone did conplain about that ticket conductor? he refused for a good 10-15 minutes. as I had no need for a return ticket, as I was only going one way. and that was home!
TeaCake

Post by TeaCake »

When you accidentally set fire to your napkin- then panic and pick it up (why?!) then miss-throw it onto a bigger pile of napkins by mistake during Christmas dinner ONE TIME, and ever since then your family have banned candles from any table you sit on. Including in restaurants. haha oops.

When you are playing a game of pool with new friends (ones who haven't already learnt that there is a meter wide danger zone around you) and when focusing really hard to hit a ball with the pool cue- you whack a poor unsuspecting guy standing behind you, right in the balls instead! woops sorry! #-o

When your boyfriend (who's in the army) regularly says "I've got more bruises and injures from going out with you, than when I was in Afghanistan!" oh dear! the poor guy lol! :lol:

also-I've always preferred watching programs with subtitles on, and from this thread it looks like there might be a link with dyspraxia? That's really interesting!
Jim
Super poster

Post by Jim »

Cue testicals... Yes, remind me to stand well away if I ever see you play pool :lol:
“When the moon hits your eye like a big pizza pie
That's amore” :whistle:
Shadwell

Post by Shadwell »

teacake, there is a 15 mile danger zone around the table when I play pool, so don't panic!! as had one lad leaning over the table and pointing where to hit the ball, he was other side of the table, somehow I managed to pot both him, and the ball I was aiming for!!

my personal best fluke so far is 1 shot, and potting 4 balls into 3 seperate pockets, and no it wasn't people standing around the table, my poor friend couldn't believe her eyes, as she was on the black, and I caught up with her from 4 balls down.
Jim
Super poster

Post by Jim »

I'm not too bad a Pool... ok I'm not exactly Ronnie O'sullivan but I can play to a standard where I don't look like a complete novice.

It's all about understanding the basic physics of how the game works, or to put it another way how best to use the cue. I worked a lot on my stance, how I hold the cue, how I form my bridge, how low I get to the table, how I bend my legs and where I point my feet.

Now.. I'm not the biggest break builder as it's difficult to maintain concentration and put all the elements together, like angles, consistent cuing, spin, force of shot etc.

But I very rarely make any ball go air bound or off the table. This is because I understand a little bit about the bio-mechanics of how that happens and I try to make sure that my technique is not conducive to flying balls.

You can a lot about a shot from how someone holds their cue and stands over their shot before they take it and I can usually spot a flying ball before the shot is taken and stand safely behind the player.

Give away signs of a player who is likely to make balls go flying is one who doesn't have a strong and tight bridge, which means that the cue tip is likely to wobble on their hands and reduce the chances of the cue ball being hit soundly and it going in the intended direction, the further away a player holds the cue from their body the harder it is cue it in a straight line meaning that again they'll fail to strike the cue ball effectively enough to make it go where they want it and finally the back hand position, (the hand used to drive the cue back and forth) if the player places his hand too in wards they are likely to miss the intended striking point of the cue ball and they may also lack force in the strike, hold it too far back and they might miss the strike point and hit it far too hard sending the ball flying. The ideal is to try to imagine a pendulum and get your lower arm a vertical as possible before driving the cue back and forth for the shot. This gives the player the best chance of hitting the cue ball in a uniform way consistently.
“When the moon hits your eye like a big pizza pie
That's amore” :whistle:
Willr0490
Power poster

Post by Willr0490 »

Shadwell wrote:Willr0490

I ended up having to do that one night, the ticket conductor wouldn't sell me a single, even though there would be no trains running the opposite direction that night ie. left redding at 10pm, as got back to town at 12:30 am!! hmm. I wonder if anyone did conplain about that ticket conductor? he refused for a good 10-15 minutes. as I had no need for a return ticket, as I was only going one way. and that was home!
OK thanks. In my previous comment, I was actually referring to me accidentally forgetting that I was coming back the following day and implying that I wanted a day return when what I actually wanted was an open one. - sorry for any confusion :blush: :)
Square12
Getting settled in

Post by Square12 »

You know you're dyspraxic when friends say don't worry that's an (insert name here) thing.
When you learn a dance routine by inventing names for every single step and it becomes your own personal lyrics to the song.
When you don't bother finishing a sentence because its so obvious what you're going...
When you learn how to do something a certain way and then regardless of how many easier ways people try to teach you it doesn't sink in.
When you discover you're quite good at drawing maps because your hand does a good shaky coastline.
When your rugby teacher at school decides whether or not he wants to join in the game depending on the number of students so that mysteriously one student always gets to sit out! (Best games teacher ever)

Re the pool thing I always put my hand on the back of the queue first to make sure I don't it nothing and I bridge with my knuckles as it's much steadier that way!
Andrea
Getting settled in

Post by Andrea »

You know your dyrspraxic when you are flattened in a 1 -1 with a special needs student (who has physical diffictulies as well as learning) when playing basket ball. I got 8 baskets in half hour, he got about 70. Oh dear. Lol.
He has been trying to teach me how to dribble the ball for ages. Lol.

Also, when you are trying to shoot 2 fighting cats with a water pistol, miss them and soak your book instead!