You know you're dyspraxic when

Cooking, finances, shopping and any regular tasks that are challenging

Moderator: Moderator Team

Willr0490
Power poster

Re: You know you're dyspraxic when

Post by Willr0490 »

You know you're dyspraxic when you go away to stay the weekend at your parents house and when you set off back to your own home at the end of you get halfway back and realise you have left some of your toiletries in their bathroom.
Robbedmushroom
New member - welcome them!

Post by Robbedmushroom »

When you take food out of the oven and forget to put oven gloves on and burn your hands...
](*,)
wood4trees
New member - welcome them!

Post by wood4trees »

You go to grab your cup of tea and instead launch the cup into the air and all over the carpet.

Organising and tidying a room takes years.

You never have clean clothes because you forget to take the clothes from the basket to the machine, three days in a row.

You drop a full 4 pint carton of milk on the pavement, it bursts and covers your new trainers in milk.

You drop the book you are reading, several times in one session.

You prepare a lovely meal, turn away from the cooker with it on a plate and upend it onto the floor for no apparent reason.

You throw coffee all over your desk, chair and co-workers.

one minute you are walking alongside a wall and the next second you have decided to slam yourself into it as hard as possible.

You are quite tall and bruise your hips on door-handles, vices and other inconveniently positioned objects, often while trying to manipulate them.

You try to turn a page in a book but end up ripping it out instead (this has happened to me twice, it is devastating for a bibliophile.)

You misunderstand dead-pan sarcasm from the bouncer as fact and agree to a strip-search. then he laughs at you.

You manage to upset people daily without trying. You are too logically minded to understand why they are upset.

I could go on indefinitely.
Willr0490
Power poster

Post by Willr0490 »

1) You have NEVER been able to draw people
2) You manage to accidentally break a 120 year old glass vase by banging your knee into it and knocking it over (this actually happened to me just before Christmas last year, though the incident is paraphrased a bit).
3) You fall up stairs more times than you fall down them
4) When you have to take dictation from somebody (for instance from the phone) you have to politely ask them to repeat it because the message got lost in the interim between hearing it and you hand writing it - and when you try to write it as they speak it, it often ends up incomplete (this actually caused me to fail a journalism short hand exam twice earlier on this year).
5) You have to take multiple copies of every application form you fill out because you know you'll make a MASSIVE mistake on the first one
6) Your phone is immensely scratched because of the many times it has fallen out of your pocket.
Captain_Ludd
Power poster

Post by Captain_Ludd »

Your drinking your coffee, thinking the little plastic top will stop you spilling it.
You go to take a sip totally miss your mouth pour piping hot coffee in to your crotch jump up in shock nock your table over causing the people at the table next to you to spill their coffee too.... to day has just been one of those #-o :( .
calumfsinclair
Regular Poster

Post by calumfsinclair »

At rugby training, when everyone else is sidestepping flagpoles you are face planting into the mud, resulting in hysterical laughter from the rest of the team!
Sticks and stones will break your bones, but more often if your dyspraxic!!!
Willr0490
Power poster

Post by Willr0490 »

You buy a Rememberance Sunday poppy and spend AGES pinning it in, and wonder why they haven't thought to modify the design to incorporate a hole at the base of the stem.
Jim
Super poster

Post by Jim »

A couple of days ago at work I wrote myself a reminder note on a post-it. But when I wanted to refer to it I couldn't find it. I frantically checked my pockets, scanned the desktop, searched the drawers but no joy. I then in desperation proceeded to turn the whole office upside down in order to find it.. After about 20 minutes and failure I give up and make to leave the office.. But I sense this flappy scrunchy feeling beneath my toes... It turns out I had dropped the post-it on the floor and it'd got stuck to the sole of my shoe where it'd been the whole time I was searching for it :lol:
“When the moon hits your eye like a big pizza pie
That's amore” :whistle:
Willr0490
Power poster

Post by Willr0490 »

You know you're dyspraxic when it's election day and you accidentally take a wrong turn on your way to the polling station (turn 1st right instead of 1st left) and end up in a cul-de-sac instead of the polling station - even though the polling station is on the next street to your home.
nickye
Power poster

Post by nickye »

You know you're dyspraxic when:

You spend about an hour looking all over the house for your tablets, only to find they are right in the front of the drawer where you very first looked!

You're really pleased you've got a money off voucher, but can't find it anywhere. Perhaps you dropped it while fumbling with the shopping bags at the till!

You take ages to take off walking boots, put them in the car, and sort out shopping bags etc, then you suddently can't find the car keys which you're SURE were in your pocket, so you spend the next 10 minutes looking for them, only to find they have dropped into one of the carrier bags.

It takes you about about 40 minutes to get home from a place that should only be a 10 minute drive! (As usual, going the scenic route!)

All of which I have done in the past week or two! And finally ....

You were feeling fed up until you realised that lots of other people on dyspraxic adults have similar stories and can laugh about them. This makes you feel better!!
blocparty88
Getting settled in

Post by blocparty88 »

... your mum asks you to remind her of something, you instantly forget it, and later on she's mad at your for not reminding her, although she knows very well that you have the memory of a goldfish :) The best part is she herself is probably also dyspraxic (I have some really strong suspicions) and forgets a lot of things...
lauraECFan
Power poster

Post by lauraECFan »

I know im dyspraxic when.....
I pick up someone elses bag before leaving scotland to go home
I walk into a door that I'm holding open
I forget what I stood up for
I walk smack bang into a flag pole
I fall UP a hill
#-o ](*,)
Animal lover forever
Bookworm forever
Live for today :)
if you have a dream chase it catch it and never let go of it
Jim
Super poster

Post by Jim »

You fall up a hill? Wow you're a gravity defying genius, I salute you ;) j/k it's easy to slip or trip up going up a hill.

I know I'm Dyspraxic when the harder I work the more lousy I feel.
“When the moon hits your eye like a big pizza pie
That's amore” :whistle:
Saphyra
Getting settled in

Post by Saphyra »

When you pay your items in a supermarket but forget to take them with you (happened to me often in my teens) #-o :bike: ](*,)
or worse, I drew money and forgot to take it out of the dispensing machine :*(

and when you stumble on the floor - I then know it is not my best day!

when you get onto a train you never wanted to get in and only notice very late..

forget to get out of the train at the station you always do although you have been taking this train for 8 years.. 8-[

when after shopping you leave your shopping bag with expensive clothes in at the bus stop and only notice late so that it had disappeared when you got back .. :rolleyes:
lauraECFan
Power poster

Post by lauraECFan »

yup up a hill DOH #-o lol

when you nearly fall out of bed when fireworks go off (shameful i know)
When you miss a chair completely and end up on the floor
When you jump for no apparent reason whatsoever :blush:

:banana: :evilb: :banana:
Animal lover forever
Bookworm forever
Live for today :)
if you have a dream chase it catch it and never let go of it