we have a make up thread - so what about shaving?

Cooking, finances, shopping and any regular tasks that are challenging

Moderator: Moderator Team

thelaughinggooner
Getting settled in

we have a make up thread - so what about shaving?

Post by thelaughinggooner »

i use an electric razor but tend to shave every few days as it takes me bloody ages to do.

i managed to cut my lip with my electric razor ](*,)
arthmelow
Regular Poster

Post by arthmelow »

It took until a few weeks ago for someone to pluck up the courage and tell me that I'm shaving my legs incorrectly: I was using the razor dry then applying moisturiser AFTERWARDS...
mr_mallow
Getting settled in

Post by mr_mallow »

I'm terrible with shaving. So, I generally don't.

Pro: I don't cut my face to shreds, don't have to worry about adding an extra hour (literally) to my "get up and dressed" time - Con: I look very much like the art student bum that I am, and scare my neighbors daughter! (Seriously, if I have a beard/tash, she'll run away and hide from me)

I have to shave with Gel, otherwise I'm guarenteed to cut my lip very badly. Can you get gel to use with electric razors? Might be worth trying.
Benny.
david456
Power poster

Post by david456 »

I just get skin irritation and my skin peels, I use moisturiser to help the skin after shaving, but I hate shaving to be honest, especially when I forget I shaved and spray aftershave on my neck. Not the best thing to do!
I use an electric razor though, at least it is difficult to cut yourself with it, although once I managed it.
SomeT
Regular Poster

Post by SomeT »

It takes me about an hour or so to shave but I can do it kind of with all that effort, lol
Daniel
Administrator

Post by Daniel »

I use an electric shaver mostly as a wet shave tends to make my face bleed in certain places. I'm sure it's rather to do with my skin than my technique, but since it's a hassle I stick to the less-close but quite adequate electric option.
Page
Getting settled in

Post by Page »

Shaving was never really a problem for me, and I use a blade. Gillete Mach3 is my razor of choice.

I use bar soap (We have something called Ivory soap here in the States, don't know if you have it in the UK). I lather up with that, and shave upwards against the grain.

The trick is to lock your wrist to keep it from moving. (if that razor rotates against your cheek-- BIG trouble.) I once took a chunk of skin off that way.

Also, if the blade starts nicking you even when you lather up good, it's getting dull and its time for a new blade.
keiraknightleyfan27
Power poster

Post by keiraknightleyfan27 »

If there are any women on here I need help with something. I have trouble with shaving the back of my thighs. It's a tough spot to reach and any tips would be helpful! I've heard that most women in Europe don't shave their legs, so if there are any of you who do or if there are some people from the states then it would be great if you could give me some tips!
Rory Gilmore (to Lorelai as she leaves for an internship in Chicago): Mom, you've given me everything I need.
Luke Danes (to Lorelai): I just like to see you happy.---"Gilmore Girls" series finale, 5/15/07
rhyds
Regular Poster

Post by rhyds »

I usually use a wet gillette razor, but I was bought an electric razor for christmas and it's not too bad, just doesn't do a good job without effort.

A few tips I've picked up:

Shave after coming out of the shower/bath, so that your pores are open and the hairs are softened a bit

If you have trouble seeing what your doing with shaving gel/foam all over your face, try some shaving oil, this gives the same lubrication, but is invisible once applied, and lets you see what your doing

Don't be rushed, take your time, everyone else can wait!

Worst comes to the worst, goatee beards allow yo to miss out that sensitive areas, and apparently are quite fetching...
Daniel
Administrator

Post by Daniel »

Shanna - sounds more like the reputation certain continental European countries have rather the UK. Can't help you on technique though I'm afraid!

Rhyds - I'd second the tactic of using warm water to soften hair, especially when shaving off several days of growth. Using a dry electric razor to do that can hurt like hell, but warm water then a wet cut it easy and pain free!
James
Getting settled in

Post by James »

I use an electric shaver, but it seems to take ages to get a properly clean shave with it.
Riddles
Getting settled in

Post by Riddles »

lol, don't talk to me about shaving. Sometimes I shave, but generally I don't, I only do it on occasion because the job centre/DEA say I should for interviews, but I hate shaving, I hate not shaving, having a beard is uncomfortable, but shaving is just a pain in the neck, it takes too long, I dont have the patience to shave. when I shave I use an electric shaver, razors always bring my skin up in a rash, all razors, all the time, it could be owt that, technique or skin, who knows.

talk to you all later
Lithium_joe
Power poster

Post by Lithium_joe »

Ugh! Shaving: don't get me started.

I still practice the medieval art of blood-letting whenever I apply razor to face. It is not a pretty sight and family members on both sides of the atlantic can now attest. :-#

I did try shaving with an electric razor for a while, but no good that did me, leaving just painfully irritated skin punctuated by a small layer of stubborn, stiff bristles that itched.

So wet shaving it was.

My beard is as back-to-front as I am, and contains as many swirls, changes of direction and over-lapping layers as the hair on my head (to the delight and professional bemusement of generations of hairdressers up and down this land.) So I tried for a time 'following the grain' as it were - that was a disaster. so now I just shave in straight strips to remove the worst and then tidy up on a second shave to remove the short hairs that survived.

I also don't shave every day at most twice a week, more often just once and let it grow out.

I reason thus: I refuse to undergo pain, blood and agony to remove modest stubble day in and day out, when what I will inevitably end up doing is dragging my razor over still raw, and open cuts, and not giving my face time to heal, nor for the bristles to soften. People can take me as I am, clean-shaven, stubbly, or fully bearded - I don't care.

I fully concur with the adivce to shave after a bath or shower - also make sure to wet the beard with warm water and give it a moment for the shaving cream to soften the bristles.

I also recommend apply a cold wet flannel to skin afterwards to help stem any bleeding, and to subtract some of the razor burn - and then if you are feeling up to it, apply a moisturiser: but whatever you do, don't believe what it says on the tin: The all sting!
Daniel
Administrator

Post by Daniel »

LJ - a fantastic summing up of the shaving experience - my efforts are very much the same!
Lithium_joe
Power poster

Post by Lithium_joe »

Why thank you. O:)