we have a make up thread - so what about shaving?

Cooking, finances, shopping and any regular tasks that are challenging

Moderator: Moderator Team

sheppeyescapee
Power poster

Post by sheppeyescapee »

I rarely shave. I had to for a job I had recently, but that was only to neaten things up a little. Shaving in general takes far too long and I end up with a load of cuts. The other reason being that I look a lot younger than my age, and if I don't shave I tend to look closer to my actual age (I'm 23 but have had anything from 13 to 21 depending on current facial hair state). I have a gilette mach 3 power and an electric razor, I tend to get more irritation from the electric, but that may be due to technique (my first electric one).

I'm going to be a student in September, already have a partner so won't be dating or anything. The plan is to just grow the beard but trim it so it at least looks neatish.

Jack
sheppeyescapee
Power poster

Post by sheppeyescapee »

I have a big problem with shaving. No matter what I do there is always a heck of a lot of blood. I always end up either doing it too lightly or too hard and ending up with a whole load of cuts. I tend to leave it a few days otherwise it is just always sore.

I get uncomfortable with the hair being there especially during the summer, but it is the lesser of two evils. Be uncomfortable with the hair, or in pain trying to get rid of it. It is not just the cuts that bother me, but the sound of shaving as well.
conor
Getting settled in

Post by conor »

i seem to be ok at shaving,maybe some trouble,the left right thing is the problem,specially in the mirrior
November Rain
Getting settled in

Re: we have a make up thread - so what about shaving?

Post by November Rain »

I don't seem to have much of a problem shaving my face, I might have to go back over it with the razor alot of the time due to missing bits, but I don't find it too awkward and it doesn't take me too long. I don't bother shaving very often anyway.

However, I like to shave my armpits every now and then and that can be really difficult. I find it awkward to use the razor in those areas and it can take me ages until I'm satisfied, sometimes I just make a pigs ear out of it, and I usually end up cutting myself. Which is why, as a bloke, I prefer to just give them a good trim most of the time rather than shave them completely.
Alistair
New member - welcome them!

Post by Alistair »

It doesn't really help that most guys are inexpertly tought by their dads. A proper wet shave is a real pleasure.

Your beard is softest straight after showering or shaving. It is also worth using a hot compress (a towell or flannel soaked in hot water, rung out then pressed up against the area of skin you're going to shave). Whether you're using gel, foam or cream, make sure you get a decent lather going and leave the products on to do their work. Take your time and always use a sharp blade. A blunt blade will drag and make you more likely to cut yourself. Use one finger to keep the area you are shaving taught. Take your time and make sure you have an ajustable mirror. A shaving brush is a good investment too
girlygirl333
Getting settled in

Re:

Post by girlygirl333 »

keiraknightleyfan27 wrote:If there are any women on here I need help with something. I have trouble with shaving the back of my thighs. It's a tough spot to reach and any tips would be helpful! I've heard that most women in Europe don't shave their legs, so if there are any of you who do or if there are some people from the states then it would be great if you could give me some tips!
I wouldn't recommend this for all over hair removal, just because I am cautious about using such harsh chemicals..but one idea might be to try a depilatory for just that area.
AJS269

Post by AJS269 »

I have never managed not to cut myself shaving.
I hate having facial hair, I shave at least one every two days.
I actually find that if I cant see my face I dont cut myself as much, also if I dont use shaving foam. Is that strange
Lithium_joe
Power poster

Post by Lithium_joe »

I'm not sponsored by Gillette, I promise.

However I've just upgraded my razor to the new Gillette Fusion thing (the one with the battery that vibrates) now the thought of a vibrating razor blade near my face didn't inspire me with confidence - however my former misgivings have all disappeared, I can report it is a very good razor and I'm managing to shave with it without the ritual blood loss and agony and the vibration is no more severe than any electric toothbrush, for example.

I do recommend it
"You don't get anything worth getting by pretending to know things you don't know."
~ Sam Harris.
RobP85

Post by RobP85 »

Hi,

I used to have really hard time shaving even having picked up a few scars (I really was that bad).
Last year my folks bought me a babyliss I-trim, it's a beard trimer but it can get reasonably close.

The only problem I have found is that occasionly my hair grows in swirls, so you can still end up with a
bit of difficulty getting an even shave.

Rob
jhonmiller

Post by jhonmiller »

Thanks for such the healthy discussion on the topic of shaving. It really help me out in getting the valueable insight.
you get alsot get about this topic information https://electricshaverlab.com/philips-m ... 000-review
Last edited by jhonmiller on Thu Oct 10, 2019 5:23 am, edited 2 times in total.
firemonkey
Power poster

Post by firemonkey »

I use an electric razor. It's not as close a shave as using an ordinary razor, but far less chance to cut myself . When I used an ordinary razor I had to hold the razor upside down to get a proper shave.
Xenavire
Power poster

Post by Xenavire »

I'd like to echo that the "Power" shavers (vibrate with battery) were infinitely better for me when I was learning to shave than regular shavers (and disposable ones were evil.) I've swapped over to a beard trimmer, and I'll trim it every couple of weeks down to stubble and shave it properly with a regular shaver, but I wouldn't be so lazy if I bothered to get another vibrating shaver.

Luckily my choice of profession doesn't worry about facial hair, so I'm focused on pleasing my girlfriend (because the only downside for me is a couple of days of the itch.)
Tom fod
Administrator

Post by Tom fod »

I used to have an electric shaver but I prefer a wet shave as It's closer. Usually only bother once or twice a week.
Tom
Moderator/Administrator

With a foot full of bullets I tried to run faster but I just hobbled on to the next disaster.
(from Peter and the Test Tube Babies, Foot Full of Bullets)