Riding bikes and failing

Cooking, finances, shopping and any regular tasks that are challenging

Moderator: Moderator Team

Tristan
New member - welcome them!

Riding bikes and failing

Post by Tristan »

Hi, I don't even know if this forum is active but I prefer forums, unfortunately, they seem to be dying but I figured I'd try.
I'm wondering if anyone's ever had trouble riding and steering bikes if have could you explain to me how?
I struggle with riding and steering bikes myself and I hoped that my motor skills had improved since being a child and I'd be fine but I'm not so I'm selling it for a motorized scooter something I've always been better at steering and more in control over. I also am having a really hard time mentally realizing I can't do this because I try explaining this to people and I'm often met with keep practicing you'll get stronger. But it's dismissive because I've been practicing my entire life, I grew up swimming and practicing motor skills and so much physical therapy and other things and it improved but it never seemed to get past a certain point and I accept that but it's something I do feel ashamed about being an adult using a motorized scooter because i can't ride a bike steer a bike tell my left or right or even be honked at by cars without getting disorientated. For once i just want to do something that everyone else can do and not feel like somethings holding me back. and i want someone to can relate to me and my struggles.
Tom fod
Administrator

Re: Riding bikes and failing

Post by Tom fod »

Hi Tristan
Welcome!

Regrettably it's not as active as I'd ideally like it to be.
It was started 15 yrs but most of action is on social media now. We get a steady stream of visitors and new arrivals like your good self.

Maybe I'm too quick to respond and shd give other members a chance to respond to each other?. Equally I like to ensure posters receive a timely response.

Scooters do seem to be more popular these days, not that I fancy my chances commuting for more than a week without being on the end of road rage or some mishap. I don't drive so it's bus, train or walking for me.

People are affected to a variety of degrees some manage bike riding in slower time, though not all can or feel sufficiently safe or confident alongside road users. Does the idea of a tricycle appeal?
Tom
Moderator/Administrator

With a foot full of bullets I tried to run faster but I just hobbled on to the next disaster.
(from Peter and the Test Tube Babies, Foot Full of Bullets)
Tristan

Post by Tristan »

Taxies are a thing here but i don't got the cash to pay for a taxie everytime i want to travel i also don't drive. I do have transportation but some independence would be great i live alone but its not always nice calling to get a ride from your parents at 27 years old anymore. Buses aren't a thing in my area not unless you're further out and where talking hours. I can ride for example and i walk and look normal so nobody really knows besides family. But they had me on a bike sense i was a kid and i never got past a certian point.
And on these roads i just can't my steering and foot works bad and i slid into the road last summer that was my turning point. Along with the realization of this bike is never getting me past unpopulated areas or i'll be a pancake and i don't want the risk its not worth it for me.
I always did well on scooters as a kid but i cant seem to find one that has a seat or could handle my roads hills and still not be super fast - (cause ill meet the same problem)
Trikes i've been looking at those and considering but the sidewalks around here are to tiny it would take up the entire side walks in certian areas leaving no space for podestrians. In other areas it would fall off the side walk and i dont feel safe driving on roads with a bike and my.sense of directions god awful. Im at the point where im just annoyed i wish my area was more disability friendly.

About your fourm: I bet you could try to pull some people from social medial over. But i know its hard i worked on a small chat for a long time though still do but its for supporting others and i burned out after six years.
But smaller places i like them more and im sure there has to be others who exist that do too.
Tom fod
Administrator

Post by Tom fod »

Taxis are fairly expensive in Britain too I'm fortunate to have good bus and train links (if I could go anywhere, still restrictions are easing just don't fancy long train or bus journey while face coverings are mandatory). I'm lucky to have a few people I could call on for lifts but generally I prefer to find my own way to and from places on foot and/or by public transport

I didn't pass Cycling Proficiency and was told I needed extra practise. There are some cycle paths routes but a lot of car drivers seen to have contempt or just very little regard towards cyclists. tbh as I said I wouldn't feel particularly safe or comfortable. Haven't really got space or secure storage of a bike if I wanted one so not a regular rider. Some dyspraxic folk are OK with bikes others sensibly avoid.

I also help look after a couple of FB-based Dyspraxia Groups. Social Media can be quite a fractious place so really nice to have the comparative serenity there is in this group, for those who are sensible and/or have been burned on or just prefer to avoid social media and we do get people who look regularly but may not necessarily post.

I occasionally put the word out about forum in social media circles I operate in The NHS page on Dyspraxia for Adults has a link to the forum. We were also featured in this article http://www.dyspraxialifemagazine.co.uk/ ... sageboard/

If it gets crazy busy we might need to find additional moderators but generally there isn't too much to have to do.
Tom
Moderator/Administrator

With a foot full of bullets I tried to run faster but I just hobbled on to the next disaster.
MelSheba

Post by MelSheba »

I can ride a basic bike but have never been able to deal with gears when they appeared. It’s too much to process for me and I get frustrated
shaky1610

Re: Riding bikes or driving a car

Post by shaky1610 »

hi am new on here and i was just wondering if you can drive a car with dyspraxia and learning disabilities, Autism spectrum disorder
Tom fod
Administrator

Post by Tom fod »

It depends on how you're affected. Many do but it can take longer/be more expensive to reach test standard and pass.

This thread concerns riding bikes.
Tom
Moderator/Administrator

FrankieSoup
Regular Poster

Post by FrankieSoup »

I ride a bike for transport. It took me literal years to learn, two goes to pass my ‘cycling proficiency’ as a kid (only one in a school of 170 kids 😂😂) and I still hate doing turn signals.

Things I’ve found that help:
- Having a bike with a back brake - where if you pedal backwards the bike slows/stops. It’s much more intuitive for me.
- having the seat slightly lower than it should be so I can stand more easily when I stop.
- high handle bars so I can sit up on the bike - think of the sort of thing old women ride with the basket at the front - that’s perfect!
- play around with luggage if you need to carry and - I find it easier to have mine on the back or in a backpack but lots of people like a front basket.
- always wear a helmet, high vis vest and gloves , no matter the weather. You’re more likely to fall off than others so take precautions: the gloves are from personal experience- trust me, you don’t want to fall off without them!
- I’ve seen people using mirrors on their bikes so they don’t have to turn to check for traffic so I’m on the lookout for some.
- finally, lean into the fact you’re not going to look good cycling: get on and off however is easier for you, cycle the way it’s easier, use the bike/equipment that helps. I cycle a lot in Europe and everyone else can do this thing where they stand on a pedal and scoot the bike along then get on but I just have to mount, then pedal off from a dead start. I look daft in comparison but it works for me 😂
Auron
Power poster

Post by Auron »

I spent my entire childhood on a bike. I'm as comfy cycling as I am walking.
That said I would hate to be learning to ride now. I would be dreadful, also, as a kid, my sisters took the best part of a day each to learn to ride.
I took several weeks/months, to the point where one day my mum — well-meaning — literally ran me down a long hill. I crashed at the bottom, but it worked; I'd finally got the hang of it, and from that day on, I was never off my bike