School/College/University

Anything to do with studying at University or college, from classes and coursework to classmates and student life

Moderator: Moderator Team

RachTuplin
New member - welcome them!

School/College/University

Post by RachTuplin »

Hi, does anyone else feel like they've managed to gain good grades throughout their academic life, but not as high as they've wanted.
I feel like even though I've worked really hard, my dyspraxia has prevented me from achieving what I'm fully capable of, so I've never been able to get the top grades. Does anyone else feel like this? What did they do to overcome issues like this? I'm going into my final year of uni and want to achieve a first rather than a high 2.1. My writing ability is not the issue, as I excel in that area. It is more getting the task concept confused.
Tom fod
Administrator

Re: School/College/University

Post by Tom fod »

Hi Rach and welcome. Glad you,ve found us.

What degree are you doing and what are you hoping to go on to do as a career?

It's rather a long time since I was at school or college.
I was fortunate enough to have had some extra time and my GCSE results were pretty good. Didn't do so well at A Level, (a D and an AS at C) Thinking about it today I think that cemented my decision not to go to University. I was equally a bit too apprehensive about leaving home and was also keen to get a job and earn some money.. I ended up doing an NVQ in Business Admin.

Didn't really know about Dyspraxia back then as I don't believe it was explained to me, or if it was, I wasn't listening.

I'm v much the frustrated perfectionist but was fairly accepting of my disappointment back then.
Tom
Moderator/Administrator

With a foot full of bullets I tried to run faster but I just hobbled on to the next disaster.
(from Peter and the Test Tube Babies, Foot Full of Bullets)
RachTuplin

Post by RachTuplin »

Hi,

Thank you, nice to meet you.
That’s a shame, I know the feeling of being a frustrated perfectionist.
I’m going into my final year of Bioveterinary Science, only discovered my dyspraxia a couple of months ago.
It’s so frustrating because I’ll either get 52% or 70-80%, but barely ever any grade in between. It’s either great or extremely disappointing. Not saying a 52% is a bad grade, particularly all things considered, but for me personally, I want to do better. I just feel like there’s something holding me back.
Tom fod
Administrator

Post by Tom fod »

Likewise

Can I ask what Bioveterinary Science entails? I used to work in animal health a long time ago.

Are you getting much/any help with DSA?
Tom
Moderator/Administrator

With a foot full of bullets I tried to run faster but I just hobbled on to the next disaster.
RachTuplin

Post by RachTuplin »

Bioveterinary Science is a mixture of biology and veterinary studies. For example, molecular biology, veterinary diagnostic techniques, biochemistry, immunology, etc.

I’m still in the process of being formally diagnosed so I don’t think I’m eligible to gain help from DSA yet. I’ve had part 1 of my assessment, but I’ve got part 2 in September. Did you get diagnosed as an adult or a child? I’m nervous about what it’s going to entail. The first part was reading, writing, spelling, but I’m not sure what the second part will consist of.

Sorry for the late response, I completely forgot hahah.
Tom fod
Administrator

Post by Tom fod »

Hi Rach

Not a problem at all we have a lot of things to juggle in our lives and juggling is not often our strong point
I was diagnosed at school when I was 14 I think but no one explained or I wasn't listening and thought I was visually impaired as that was what my SEN assistance was geared towards.

It was another 20+ years before I learned and ended up stumbling upon this forum in 2011
I had heard the name Dyspraxia but had no idea what it was so didn't realise I was in the club myself.

I would say it is possible the second part of your testing may include putting shapes in the right holes and other manual manipulation type tasks to get a baseline/ compare your different scores in different areas against each other. Suggest you Google term "spiky profile" for more info.
Tom
Moderator/Administrator

FrankieSoup
Regular Poster

Post by FrankieSoup »

Hi Nathan

I’m currently a second time student at university. I went for the first time at 18, not knowing I was dyspraxic and am back again now at 36, in full knowledge of who I am.

Whilst uni isn’t without its challenges, there is definitely support available. This time, I’ve been given voice recognition and text to speech software, the means to record lectures, slides in advance, and best of all, a 1-1 meeting every 2 weeks to help me plan my workload.

I do still have to work harder than my peers, but definitely not as hard as I did first time round. And I love what I’m doing, so I’ve got the drive to get through the tasks. Tbh, I think this is the most important thing - if you love what you’re studying, don’t be put off. And feel free to ask anything specific you’d like to know- I’m happy to help if I can.
micheal8

Post by micheal8 »

Tom fod wrote: Wed Aug 05, 2020 10:03 pm Hi Rach

Not a problem at all we have a lot of things to juggle in our lives and juggling is not often our strong point
I was diagnosed at school when I was 14 I think but no one explained or I wasn't listening and thought I was visually impaired as that was what my SEN assistance was geared towards.

It was another 20+ years before I learned and ended up stumbling upon this forum in 2011
I had heard the name Dyspraxia but had no idea what it was so didn't realise I was in the club myself.

I would say it is possible the second part of your testing may include putting shapes in the right holes and other manual manipulation type tasks to get a baseline/ compare your different scores in different areas against each other. Suggest you Google term "spiky profile" for more info.
I strongly agree with you
DrakeY

Post by DrakeY »

You could try breaking down tasks into smaller, more manageable steps, which can help you stay organized and focused.
adelynschans

Post by adelynschans »

If you're looking for resources to help you excel in your final year at university, you might want to explore specialized support or tutoring services that can cater to your needs. Additionally, consider time management and study strategies that work best for you.On a different note, have you ever checked out [Non-permitted url removed by Admin]

While it may not directly relate to your academic challenges, it's an interesting place to explore, especially if you have a passion for filmmaking or cinematography. Remember, with determination and the right support, you can strive for that first-class achievement!
Last edited by Tom fod on Sun Jan 14, 2024 4:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Advertising without prior permission!
AlexusSawyer

Post by AlexusSawyer »

Thanks for sharing your experience. It's tough when you feel like you're not reaching your full potential due to challenges like dyspraxia. I can totally relate—I used to struggle with similar feelings of frustration during my academic journey. One thing that really helped me was finding support and resources tailored to my needs. Have you checked out [URL Removed by Admin]? They offer some fantastic tips and strategies for overcoming academic challenges. Also, don't forget to lean on your support system, whether it's friends, family, or university resources.
Last edited by Tom fod on Mon Mar 18, 2024 3:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Advertising without prior permission!
Dball

Post by Dball »

Break tasks down, use visual aids, seek support if needed. Keep pushing towards that first.