I need advice

Anything to do with studying at University or college, from classes and coursework to classmates and student life

Moderator: Moderator Team

Chaz
Getting settled in

I need advice

Post by Chaz »

If I want to get to run my own business one day, I need to go to Uni at some point.
At college I was bullied by the actual teachers because they didn't understand me and the less said about the students the better. I know I have to go to uni at some point but I'm just too scared to. I'm worried I'm not capable or it'll be hell again.
Any advice?
Xenavire
Power poster

Re: I need advice

Post by Xenavire »

Adults are generally much more relaxed, so that's already something positive (they would be less likely to cause you problems.)

Other than that, I'd suggest finding a university (or even just a few staff members or teachers) that are willing to help you smooth out the experience.

Last thought - knock off the "not capable" self labelling. If you want to run your own business, it won't be university, or competition that stops you, it'll be you deciding you aren't good enough. The first step to succeeding is realising that even if it might be harder or slower for you, you can definitely do what everyone else can.
Chaz
Getting settled in

Post by Chaz »

Hi
Thanks for the advice. I got diagnosed this morning so up until now it has been me not being capable.
Also going though college killed my confidence and self esteem.
I looked into how to get my own business and it seems quite simple but it's the worry of having to be a higher level to do it or not.
Xenavire
Power poster

Post by Xenavire »

Well, knowing you have Dyspraxia is always a good first step towards making changes, the kinds of changes that make your life easier. As a kid, I loved books, but writing (both physically and mentally) seemed impossible, so I never considered it. Now I'm working on a story I hope to publish, and that's possible because I found ways to cope with Dyspraxia, and it stopped being such a barrier for me.

Very few things are truly impossible for someone with Dyspraxia, it's just about sticking with what you want to do. Don't let bad experiences slow you down either. If you want to start a business, just take it one step at a time until you have achieved it.
Tom fod
Administrator

Post by Tom fod »

You don't necessarily need to have a degree or even have gone to university to run your own business. Of course in some areas of business it might be useful. What do you see yourself doing?

What is essential though is being able to plan and organise and being able to negotiate and work with other people, be they customers/clients, your accountant, bank manager or tax authorities. Having faced adversity, it can make you falsely assume that everyone is trying to stand in your way. Most are merely indifferent so it's useful to be able to learn how to influence people and be able to build mutual trust. Dyspraxia can make that more difficult, but there are Dyspraxic entrepreneurs out there and not all of them will have come out of education with A*s.

As Xenavire points out students at university are usually a lot more mature and less like candidates from The Apprentice than those you might have met in a post 16 Further Education setting. Equally as we get a bit older we become better at knowing ourselves and developing confidence and coping strategies that work for us.
Tom
Moderator/Administrator

With a foot full of bullets I tried to run faster but I just hobbled on to the next disaster.
(from Peter and the Test Tube Babies, Foot Full of Bullets)
Chaz
Getting settled in

Post by Chaz »

I want to run a nursery/pre school. That's what I was going to do before yesterday and I've had this condition all my life so I don't see why a label should stop me.
I think I have to be level 4 to do it and also need the money to start it.
I need to be able to drive and that's proving difficult. Been trying for 2/3 years and still drifting off course.
While everything makes sense now, I don't want to make things easy for me. I know it sounds mad, but for 20 years I have struggled and found ways through things. I don't want a label to make people think I'm incapable.
Tom fod
Administrator

Post by Tom fod »

Chas

I think it is possible but it definitely won't be plain sailing.

I wouldn't totally rule out working for others for a while so you can acquire necessary qualifications, experience and knowledge along the way.

Somtimes we have to use our label as a way to get tutors and employers to give us leeway, but we are equally capable of leading and showing initiative and doing it our way. I'd recommend looking for a way to get a formal assessment. This can get you additional support in studying and some additional protection in the workplace, not that is ever an easy thing to ask for or get.

As big picture thinkers we sometimes need to pause to plan our route rather than fighting through barbed wire fences and over glass shard topped walls.

Driving is a pain and something I'm not ever able to do myself. I'm visually impaired too but have done well through hard work and a bit of luck. It may not be essential right now but it is worth persistimg with if you want/need to, depending on your location/future business model and other factors.

It's more a case of out manouvring, rather than beating the condition outright. I was 35 before I redicovered/realised I was Dyspraxic and pitched up here.
Tom
Moderator/Administrator

With a foot full of bullets I tried to run faster but I just hobbled on to the next disaster.
(from Peter and the Test Tube Babies, Foot Full of Bullets)
Wookie998
New member - welcome them!

Post by Wookie998 »

I did unio for a couple of years and left because i felt it was i should do and now what i wanted bit every professor ot head of course i talked to where always trying to help you,at most unis when ypu apply if you say you have dyspraxia or dyslexia they offer you support i never did due to the two unis i was going to i went through clearing for one and changed a year later but most unis will give alot of support ofr things like dyslexia and dyspraxia i think my mam gor a free laptop and a good text reading software and had a great tutor most lecturers are not researchers and they will take time to talk to students if that sort of thing doesn't make you anxious i had afew while i was there and honestly they try to help you any way you can, its not like college or school alot of universities consider undergraduates as young scholars and really want to help you its really their job tp help you dont be like me every lectuer had office hours where you can go and discuss anything you didnt understand or arnt conmfotable with there is so many resources available at universities because generally everyone is there to learn its not like colleges or schools where you sory of have to be there but ther focus is accademic and the university wants everyone to pass and getr a degree because it helps the uni. Its not like school if you are at a university there is far more options to report anything like that i never experienced any sort of bullying because most unis have strict policies and it can get people kicked out, i didnt like many of my coursemates but non were ever mean, there's much more support there if you look for it.
shikhakim

Post by shikhakim »

Going to university isn't the only path to running your own business.
KevinVonErich

Post by KevinVonErich »

Remember, your past doesn't define your future. Going to university can be a great opportunity for personal and professional growth. Instead of focusing on the negative, try to find a supportive environment where you can thrive. Believe in yourself and your capabilities. Take small steps, seek guidance, and surround yourself with positive influences. You got this! By the way, consider exploring [url removed]. It could be a valuable skill for your future business endeavors. Best of luck!
Last edited by Tom fod on Sat Oct 07, 2023 7:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Advertising without prior permission!
FreeRox

Post by FreeRox »

@KevinVonErich is spot-on: your past doesn't have to define your future. University can be a fresh start, a place to meet like-minded individuals and professors who are actually supportive.
If running your own business is the dream, then equipping yourself with the right tools is crucial. I recently came across a fantastic resource on [Unauthorised Commercial URL link removed by Admin] that delves into digital marketing strategies, SEO, and social media marketing. If you're aiming to be an entrepreneur, understanding these aspects could give you a significant edge.
Taking small steps is key. Maybe start by visiting some campuses, sitting in on lectures, or even taking a part-time course online to ease into the academic environment.
Last edited by Tom fod on Sun Nov 05, 2023 7:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Forum rules Breach!