Just diagnosed and looking for support

Anything to do with studying at University or college, from classes and coursework to classmates and student life

Moderator: Moderator Team

Lainey40
New member - welcome them!

Just diagnosed and looking for support

Post by Lainey40 »

Good afternoon,
I have being diagnosed with dyspraxia today and unsure what to think. I hadn't even heard of this before. I am a student and my institution ran a test to which I found quite upsetting. I was beating myself up for not being able to do them. Can anyone tell me what help I may be able to get and also maybe any words of wisdom.

Thank you
Xenavire
Power poster

Re: Just diagnosed and looking for support

Post by Xenavire »

Don't look at the diagnosis as a curse, look at it as an explanation. Did you ever notice that you were especially clumsy, or any number of other issues? Now you know, and can try to compensate.

Knowing is better than not knowing.

As for the test they ran, I certainly understand it was frustrating. There is a good chance you might run into more tests you will have difficulty with, or tasks you cannot perform. You shouldn't let that get you down, however.

May I ask what kind of test it was? Was it a test of motor skills, or of your senses? Or was it purely academic? Perhaps I (or someone else) might be able to give more specific advice.
Lainey40

Post by Lainey40 »

Thanks you for your reply. The test was initially to test me for dyslexia. It was a 3 hour test. The parts I struggled with were understanding questions, making shapes with cubes and reading.

I am really clumsy, my husband holds my hand crossing roads as I just walk out onto roads. Didn't walk till I was 2 and never met any milestones. I've been struggling a lot at uni as by the time I process point A the lecturer has moved onto point D. I'm just feeling so uncertain as to what this means and if I can continue with my studies.
Tom fod
Administrator

Post by Tom fod »

Hi Lainey and a warm welcome. We're glad you've found us.

I learned that I was Dyspraxic about 8 years ago now and whilst it explained so much, it certainly took some getting used to. These forums certainly helped but there is a growing community.

It is definitely worth looking at DSA (that is assuming you're UK based?) This can help you with adjustments to help with you with. strategies to help with your learning difference. Try not to stress about the test as failing is sort of by design in this instance, though like you I strive very hard and anything less than a decent percentage and I wouldn't be happy either.

Please check out the links to help and support in the the resource bank I'm currently compiling http://www.dyspraxicadults.org.uk/forum ... =13&t=7385

Anything else, you only have to ask.
Tom
Moderator/Administrator

With a foot full of bullets I tried to run faster but I just hobbled on to the next disaster.
(from Peter and the Test Tube Babies, Foot Full of Bullets)
Xenavire
Power poster

Post by Xenavire »

I certainly know the feeling Lainey40, especially the lecture portion. For me personally, it was intense difficulty with handwriting that made it so difficult to keep up, but it differs for most of us where our strengths and weaknesses lie.

Don't feel bad about holding hands to cross the road either. I have been struck twice by moving vehicles (once while on a bike, once while walking), so I can promise you it is better to accept help than risk not accepting it. As it happens, I also hold my girlfriends hand fairly often when walking - it helps both of us. She has a lazy eye (and practically zero depth perception), while I have occasional issues with judging distance and gross motor control - we support each other, and I think it's great you have your husband to help you too.

Lastly, I agree with Tom fod - if a test is designed to be failed, it's aggravating and depressing to see that failure, but in the end it is for the best I believe, at least in the case where it leads to an explanation of what has always felt a little "off".
Lainey40

Post by Lainey40 »

Thank you both for taking the time to reply. I appreciate it. I just feel quite overwhelmed just now but I definitely knew something wasn't quite right. I'm the one who never puts their hands out to stop myself falling and I just assumed my clumsiness was normal. Looking back there's so many things that were ignored given I never met any milestones growing up. I'm going to research this fully. I need and will take all the support given .
Tom fod
Administrator

Post by Tom fod »

Lainey

You're welcome. It's a lot to process.

When I first found this Gorum in 2011 I was wrestling with what it all would mean for me, who I would have to tell, and how would I tell them etc.

Support and awareness is definitely improving but it can be hard for us to see and commicate what we need sometimes.

Take care and have a good week.
Tom
Moderator/Administrator

With a foot full of bullets I tried to run faster but I just hobbled on to the next disaster.
(from Peter and the Test Tube Babies, Foot Full of Bullets)