new words

Anything to do with studying at University or college, from classes and coursework to classmates and student life

Moderator: Moderator Team

bongoblue
New member - welcome them!

new words

Post by bongoblue »

Im a student nurse and I struggle with pronunciation and obs there a lot new and medical words. Any help or tips?

Tom fod
Administrator

Re: new words

Post by Tom fod »

The names of medicines and conditions often have complex names some of which are foreign. you could try using recording them using voice search but there's no guarantee Siri, Google or Alexa can pronounce them any better.

Do you have any specific examples?

Asking people to repeat or give you more details of the context in which a word is used can help you where words or names are similar sounding but have different meanings or effects. They are difficult for everyone so try to avoid being really hard on yourself if you make mistakes.
Tom
Moderator/Administrator

With a foot full of bullets I tried to run faster but I just hobbled on to the next disaster.
(from Peter and the Test Tube Babies, Foot Full of Bullets)
Tom fod
Administrator

Post by Tom fod »

bongoblue wrote: Tue Sep 24, 2019 1:42 pm Im a student nurse and I struggle with pronunciation and obs there a lot new and medical words. Any help or tips?

Hi again

I recently went to the Dyspraxia Foundation's Adult Conference in Birmingham. Whilst there I saw a v good presentation from Kerry Pace of Diverse Learners

Would definitely recommend checking them out: www.diverse-learners.co.uk
Tom
Moderator/Administrator

With a foot full of bullets I tried to run faster but I just hobbled on to the next disaster.
(from Peter and the Test Tube Babies, Foot Full of Bullets)
Kat705
New member - welcome them!

Post by Kat705 »

Hi there my name Kat I’m currently working as an ICU nurse. Iv been qualified for a year now and honestly I know exactly how you feel. I still struggle now and again to pronounce what I mean, as long as you know what your talking about there’s no harm in my opinion.
I made a little personal notebook of all words that were hard for me to say spell right and know what that mean, this seem to help as there’s some words you get used to.
Also during my training I used an electronic medical dictionary this is really good and still use it now =)
Just keep on going though nurse tests you on so many different levels, but is so very rewarding 💜
pixiewithdocs
Getting settled in

Post by pixiewithdocs »

I'm an (erstwhile) ESL teacher - the macmillan 'sounds' app has the phonemic chart on it so when you go to the dictionary and see this weird writing /ɑːlˈðɪsnɒnsəsts/ it's the exact pronunciation of the word. Primary stress is an apostrophe, and secondary stress is a comma in the word.

If you copy the weird code into the macmillan app it'll show you how to pronounce it properly.

Good luck!

App here: http://www.macmillanstraightforward.com ... ation-app/
Picture of what I'm on about next to a dictionary entry: https://s.abcnews.com/images/Technology ... x9_992.jpg

:bumps:
Aorta/tattoo the artery/with acute artistry