How to study

Anything to do with studying at University or college, from classes and coursework to classmates and student life

Moderator: Moderator Team

Someone
New member - welcome them!

How to study

Post by Someone »

Hey. Does anyone have any advice on how to study and listen in school? I cant listen in school at all. I just start thinking about something else.
Tom fod
Administrator

Re: How to study

Post by Tom fod »

It can be quite personal and what suits one person may not work so well or at all for others. What did your Counsellor say?

It is quite common for some to also struggle with attention. Effective listening will also be v difficult if you're in a state of worry/distress or panic. Addressing these difficulties should make it easier to be in state conducive to learning.

It's worth looking at/thinking about what works and doesn't work for you.
Tom
Moderator/Administrator

With a foot full of bullets I tried to run faster but I just hobbled on to the next disaster.
(from Peter and the Test Tube Babies, Foot Full of Bullets)
Dan
Power poster

Post by Dan »

Someone wrote:Hey. Does anyone have any advice on how to study and listen in school? I cant listen in school at all. I just start thinking about something else.
m

You may have ADHD. It is commonly comorbid with Dyspraxia. It is worth speaking to a psychiatrist about that. :)
PEDROMACHUCA
New member - welcome them!

Post by PEDROMACHUCA »

Dan wrote:
Someone wrote:Hey. Does anyone have any advice on how to study and listen in school? I cant listen in school at all. I just start thinking about something else.
You may have ADHD. It is commonly comorbid with Dyspraxia. It is worth speaking to a psychiatrist about that. :)
This.

One day during a marketing class, my teacher tells us "Close your eyes we're going to do an experiment! Now that your eyes are closed, DO NOT IMAGINE A PINK ELEPHANT" he repeated this sentence 3 times. A few seconds later he tells us "open your eyes and asked what happened? You all visualized a image of a pink elephant right? All the class nodded and I'm going like "no no no in my head I didn't see S***" then he affirmed that's because your mind doesn't think in negative. I went home earlier than usual and asked that same question to my family members, they were all able to see a picture except my dad. Now, I knew that I couldn't visualize thanks to this teacher; yet I wasn't able to see the bigger picture, adapt my learning style to that.

Although, I think what helped me the most is to build a routine. I had everyday the same routine, I'd study all day go to the gym and go home. I worked more than all people I knew but it was worth it. Also, I'd make my schedule one week in advance.. If I had to redo it, I would record every single lecture.. Get help from the disability office to help me find a customized studying strategy that works for me.

I got diagnosed with ADHD during my last year in university, 3 months after graduating the neuropsychologist tells me that I'm dyspraxic. I posted below the co-morbid conditions listed from wikipedia. I have ADHD and I have visual perception deficits. I'd be interested in studying strategies as well.

People who have developmental coordination disorder (dyspraxia) may also have one or more of these co-morbid conditions:

Attention deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD) (inattention, hyperactivity, impulsive behaviour).[27][28][29]
Autism spectrum disorder[29][30][31][32]
Dyscalculia (difficulty with numbers),[33]
Dysgraphia (an inability to write neatly or draw),[34]
Dyslexia (difficulty with reading and spelling),[35]:28
Hypotonia (low muscle tone)[2]
Sensory processing disorder[36][37]
Specific language impairment (SLI)[38]
Visual perception deficits[39]
However, they are unlikely to have all of these conditions. The pattern of difficulty varies widely from person to person, and it is important to understand that an area of major weakness for one dyspraxic can be an area of strength or gift for another.
allesandro
Power poster

Post by allesandro »

I always had that problem as well. I saw a psychiatrist, and he had prescribed some medication that had helped at the time, though it no longer does. It did, however, get me through school.