Tips for Studying at Uni and keeping organised.

Anything to do with studying at University or college, from classes and coursework to classmates and student life

Moderator: Moderator Team

bookish
Getting settled in

Tips for Studying at Uni and keeping organised.

Post by bookish »

What are every ones best tips for keeping themselves organised and on task with Uni work (or any kind of work)?

I feel a bit stupid asking because I’m doing an MA and should probably have some kind of technique by now: I’ve only just been officially diagnosed but don’t really know what to do with it.

I find it really difficult to stay focused on a task and to prioritise, and usually end up doing everything the night before it’s due in: however long the essay.

I’ve never done particularly well academically, despite being in top groups at school, and don’t reach predicted grades. My marks this year have been pretty bad and I really want to make a final push and gain a merit rather than just a pass.

It’s very frustrating because every time I get back an essay I feel like I should just give up and accept the fact that I’m never going to do better. Maybe I’m just not as clever I want to be, but my poor organisation, memory, attention span and laziness can’t be helping. Laziness is my own fault but if anyone has any tips before I start panicking about my dissertation I’d really appreciate it.

Ellie ](*,)
Tim G
Super poster

Re: Tips for Studying at Uni and keeping organised.

Post by Tim G »

I find that planning out a project into sections as soon as its asinged. - I.e. reashearsh takes x amout of time, writing the essay takes x, edeting takes x, printing and finilising takes x.
Put this planning into your calander (I use colour codeing) and if this can also go on a phone as well then that can help, also it is a idea to have the dedline 2 weeks before the achual dedline that way if anything goes wrong then you have contingency time.

Also having a white board and notis board of what to do really helps as it can allways be clearly seen.

I have used a dicta phone for recording lectures which can be listend to later as well as taking my own notes.
The real Mr Potato Head
foster
New member - welcome them!

Post by foster »

No it is not stupid at all. it happens many times in life when you feel that you need to ask to someone. But buddy you should develop you own techniques. As per my self when I get a project i suddenly divide it into section. I have develop the way learning as fun. I make a schedule about the searching, writing and editing. I found this method quite helpful to fulfill my task so that it is easy to get rid of stress and even you feel relaxed.
Pivot Training Institute
Last edited by foster on Sat Oct 12, 2013 9:56 am, edited 3 times in total.
calumfsinclair
Regular Poster

Post by calumfsinclair »

I use post it's and an electronic planner to organise myself, I try to get differentiated notes in lessons which help too. Also if I have to take notes missing out the definite and indefinite article and other adjoining words helps if you write slowly, like me! A dictaphone is good, I've heard, but haven't got round to buying one. Also I make sure to have assignments/prep done as soon as I get it or else I forget and it never gets done!
Sticks and stones will break your bones, but more often if your dyspraxic!!!