Careers

Anything to do with studying at University or college, from classes and coursework to classmates and student life

Moderator: Moderator Team

Latte
New member - welcome them!

Careers

Post by Latte »

Hello well-read forum people,

I am in my final years of high school in Australia (basically your version of sixth form) and I don't know what kind of career to pick.

I am interested in health or education but my dyspraxia is stopping me as a) in health careers like med, I will suck at doing physical stuff and could possibly injure someone / fail uni and b) I will embarass myself in front of my students and colleagues due to uncontrollable facial expressions, clumsiness, constant tripping and just being bad at speaking to people. Very scared of the future. I just want to make an impact in this world using the two areas I am most passionate about yet I can hardly tie my shoelaces or use chopsticks?! I don't want a desk job but I feel I am destined for one. Feels awful :(
It has gotten to the point where I can see myself doing nothing with my future and just dying.
I have a job in fast food that I was very lucky to get but I can hardly fold a chip box or put one in a bag without help from someone :( I can't even give someone money from the till without getting flustered. Even when shopping, I struggle to walk and carry bags (maybe because of hypotonia). I never pay with coins when with a cashier because my hands just freeze up as I'm concentrating so hard to find the correct money. My face goes really red when I am embarrassed and get these anxious feelings and my friends make fun of me for it.
I am also short too which limits me in life.
I have never heard of anyone who has had a successful, lifelong career in the NHS or Australian healthcare system or as a surgeon or teacher with dyspraxia. A role model would be great.

So if anyone can help me with this rumination, I would greatly appreciate it. Be as blunt or mean as you want :D Thanks for reading and for your time and have lovely day :)

So sorry
Tom fod
Administrator

Re: Careers

Post by Tom fod »

Hi Latte and welcome

Over the 9 years I've been here, I've observed that quite a few go into the healthcare and education professions. We're caring people and want to help others and make an impact. Dyspraxia tends to give us a fair bit of paralysing anxiety and stress which we have to fight to overcome.

You can do that too, although I do appreciate that these may feel like empty words. When we're worrying about our future and comparing ourselves to all those who seem like they're out there happily doing what they do.

Be kind to yourself and do things your way when you need to.

Desk jobs aren't everyones cup of tea but there are some good ones. Contradictorily, we've had a Dyspraxic Tree Surgeon and a Helmsman on a ferry here in this forum.
Tom
Moderator/Administrator

With a foot full of bullets I tried to run faster but I just hobbled on to the next disaster.
(from Peter and the Test Tube Babies, Foot Full of Bullets)
cyram

Post by cyram »

I taught primary school for a while, and I can honestly say that kids are quite forgiving, and if you own your clumsiness then they'll feel more at ease. Growing up is a very awkward experience, and having a teacher acknowledge that we're all in this together can be a very good thing. Many teachers try to act like they're always correct, and kids really respond to honesty.

One thing to be careful of is that teaching (and I assume healthcare as well) can easily lead to sensory overload in the wrong environments, so as long as you have coping mechanisms, then you should be fine. I taught for ten years before I was just too exhausted to have anything left for my own family. I now work in IT, but my time as a primary school teacher were incredibly fun and rewarding, and taught me how to manage my dyspraxia very well. Saying that, I tore far too many suits from misjudging where desks were, etc.

Try to keep yourself flexible, and if something doesn't work, then adapt. It's not easy, but keep at it and eventually you'll find a place where you can shine.
MarianneBritt

Post by MarianneBritt »

Inspirational story here. Its quite an encouragement that dyspraxic is not a limitation to carrying out o activities and standing out from the crowd.
Anyone can be a hero no matter their condition. it just makes them special.