Are there any other PhD students with Dyspraxia? I'm looking to start an informal mutual support meet up

Anything to do with studying at University or college, from classes and coursework to classmates and student life

Moderator: Moderator Team

CarolineZhu
New member - welcome them!

Re: Are there any other PhD students with Dyspraxia? I'm looking to start an informal mutual support meet up

Post by CarolineZhu »

Hello!

Have just found this forum, and very glad to have done so. I've been diagnosed with dyspraxia during my second year of undergraduate studies 4 years ago and am just about to start a PhD. I struggle with processing texts especially so am quite daunted by all the reading awaiting me in the next four years! The Facebook group idea sounds interesting, how could I get involved? I also just want to express that I would appreciate any tips on how to train oneself to read/process text faster!
daniland

Re: Are there any other PhD students with Dyspraxia? I'm looking to start an informal mutual support meet up

Post by daniland »

Hi Caroline,

For reading I have found text to speech very useful. I use the text to speech on the computer, and read along with a print out following the text with my finger. Its not the easiest setup. There are lots of free text to speech apps. I used the inbuilt one on the computer, with a CereProc voice that I bought.

Dani
IanS

Post by IanS »

This thread has been quiet for quite a long time, but I just wanted to pop in and say that doing a PhD with dyspraxia is doable!

I was diagnosed with dyspraxia in 2000, after spending my childhood believing I was dyslexic.

I have a PhD in Genomics, have been a researcher at several of the worlds most famous universities, and am now a Senior Lecturer in Computational Biology at a University in the north of England.

So 1) Don't be downhearted - it is possible. and 2) If anyone wants to talk about the difficulties of being an academic with Dyspraxia, I'd love to chat.