Is it possible to be Dyspraxic, yet have good spacial awareness?

Learning to drive, driving, and using public transport

Moderator: Moderator Team

Myron
New member - welcome them!

Is it possible to be Dyspraxic, yet have good spacial awareness?

Post by Myron »

I'm wondering if someone could help me understanding something.
Is it possible to have Dyspraxia, yet have no problems or issues with spacial awareness and co-ordination when it comes to driving a motor vehicle or riding a bicycle?

I'm new to this forum and trying to learn as it does seem like I may have undiagnosed Dyspraxia all my life and I'm now a not too old-an-adult.
I need answers.
Tom fod
Administrator

Re: Is it possible to be Dyspraxic, yet have good spatial awareness?

Post by Tom fod »

Myron wrote: Mon Feb 15, 2021 10:57 pm I'm wondering if someone could help me understanding something.
Is it possible to have Dyspraxia, yet have no problems or issues with spacial awareness and co-ordination when it comes to driving a motor vehicle or riding a bicycle?

I'm new to this forum and trying to learn as it does seem like I may have undiagnosed Dyspraxia all my life and I'm now a not too old-an-adult.
I need answers.
I'm a non driver but can ride a bicycle to an adequate level of proficiency. I probably would not enjoy commuting by bike though as I wouldn't feel safe, but feel that is as much to do with the consideration (or lack thereof) from other road users. The learning curve to get us to whatever level of proficiency can in some cases be longer slower and we can have our off days, especially if tired and/or stressed.

There's a lot of assumptions made like, Oh you can drive a manual, or you can type, or you play x sport or you have a degree, you can't possibly be dyspraxic. I've encountered enough dyspraxic folk in the past ten years to know we rarely conform to the typical idea of what someone with dyspraxia can or cannot do.
Tom
Moderator/Administrator

With a foot full of bullets I tried to run faster but I just hobbled on to the next disaster.
(from Peter and the Test Tube Babies, Foot Full of Bullets)