Any tips for learning to drive?

Learning to drive, driving, and using public transport

Moderator: Moderator Team

Kim1988
New member - welcome them!

Any tips for learning to drive?

Post by Kim1988 »

Hi all! It’s my first time posting on this forum. I’m actually based in Melbourne, Australia. Unfortunately there’s no forum like this for dyspraxia based in Australia.

I have known I’ve had a mild to moderate form of dyspraxia since I was about 11 or 12 years old. I’m now 32. My handwriting is pretty shocking, my hand and eye co-ordination as a kid was pretty bad to. It’s gotten better over time.

I’m now learning to drive albeit very late! Although I don’t feel so alone now reading the other posts on this forum and it seems like it is achievable for people with dyspraxia so I’ve got some hope. I had one driving teacher give up on me because I wasn’t at the level that he wanted me to be at after the number of lessons we’d had. I have a new driving teacher now and he seems to be better than the previous one as he gives me more confidence and gives me encouragement.

I was just wondering if any of you have any tips that helped you to learn better and process the information?
Tom fod
Administrator

Re: Any tips for learning to drive?

Post by Tom fod »

Hi there.

Noting you're in Australia so this may not be directly applicable. However, I hope is still of interest/some use.

https://www.thedyspraxicdoctor.com/dysp ... sourcebank
Tom
Moderator/Administrator

With a foot full of bullets I tried to run faster but I just hobbled on to the next disaster.
(from Peter and the Test Tube Babies, Foot Full of Bullets)
JennyMalin
New member - welcome them!

Re: Any tips for learning to drive?

Post by JennyMalin »

I have been driving with someone on the next seat!
And been cool. To check my speed and to highlight the needed decisions for making.
Just don't fear.