Driving

Learning to drive, driving, and using public transport

Moderator: Moderator Team

Jim
Super poster

Re: Driving

Post by Jim »

Being dyspraxic shouldn’t prevent you from learning to drive if you want to.

Yes, it may pose some difficulties, hand-eye coordination, spatial awareness etc but remember that driving is as much to do with attitude as it is basic ability.

There are plenty of bad drivers out there who will have nor or few discernible difficulties but are not good on the road due their attitude.

Equally, there are people on the road who do have difficulties who may be perfectly good drivers because they apply good and diligent concentration to what they do.

I’m dyspraxic... and I passed my tests at first attempt and have had my full licence for 20 years now. So if you want to learn to drive then you can.
“When the moon hits your eye like a big pizza pie
That's amore” :whistle:
Xenavire
Power poster

Post by Xenavire »

I'm someone that has the option to choose not to drive (Netherlands has great public transportation), so the choice was easy for me. I'm absolutely certain I could pass, almost certainly on my first attempt. But I don't believe that I would be safe behind the wheel over an extended period.

I'd rather err on the side of caution because I value my life and my health enough to not risk it, not to mention anyone I might hurt if I were to make a mistake. That's simply my choice, and I don't think every Dyspraxic person should do the same.

You should look at how you cope with other similar tasks before deciding anything. Like riding a bike, do you ever have trouble there? There are some similarities there that could be warning signs if you struggle. Just take your time and don't rush the decision. And if you do decide to try, practice as much as you can.
Xenavire
Power poster

Post by Xenavire »

I can't say anything with certainty, but I imagine driving is more similar to biking than swimming, which seems like a good thing for you.

Most sports require very different things from us than riding a bike. Driving requires spatial awareness and the ability to steer, two things in common with biking. There is a lot of extra stuff to keep in mind, but the basics are the same. It should just be a matter of practice and having confidence in yourself.
Tom fod
Administrator

Post by Tom fod »

Isee wrote: Tue Jan 14, 2020 3:47 am I’m writing here because there’s no really french support for dyspraxia i apologize if I’m making mistakes. so I am 16 years old, in my country you can start taking lessons to have your driver license at that age and I heard it was terrible to pass test for people having that problem. I am really stressed about it because I saw some dysprasic people that failed their test 2-3 times and it cost a lost of money and a huge amount of time. So I decided to not take it for now, normal people are excited about that in general and I really fear to fail it because I need more time to learn than others and my coordination is horrible. Can someone share their opinion?
Bienvenue

Votre anglais est parfaitement acceptable and probably a lot better than mon Francais!

I don't know anything about French standards for driving but the following English webpages/info may be helpful

https://www.thedyspraxicdoctor.com/post ... g-to-drive

https://dyspraxiafoundation.org.uk/wp-c ... ftCopy.pdf
Tom
Moderator/Administrator

With a foot full of bullets I tried to run faster but I just hobbled on to the next disaster.
(from Peter and the Test Tube Babies, Foot Full of Bullets)
Tom fod
Administrator

Post by Tom fod »

Isee wrote: Fri Jan 17, 2020 1:53 am
I’m writing here because there’s no really french support for dyspraxia . . .

You're very welcome.
sorry, I'd latched on to the wording in your original post added 2 and 2 and got 5!

I've not learned or used much French since I was at school which frighteningly was nearly 30 years ago now. I did ask google to aid my translation. I think they speak a sort of French down in Louisiana too? (sorry I do quizzes and know all kinds of trivial things. I've been to France a few times and to Montreal and Quebec too (back in 2006). I could walk into a bar or shop and ask for 'une biere ou une grace' but I'd struggle to have, or follow a conversation in French.

We do/have had a few Canadians on here before and I'm aware that there just doesn't seem to be the level of knowledge or awareness over there, that we have. There's still a great deal of room for improvement of recognition and understanding in the UK and Ireland too!

Is there anyone who can take you to practise driving somewhere safe and off the public roads to help you get a feel and improve ability and confidence?
Tom
Moderator/Administrator

With a foot full of bullets I tried to run faster but I just hobbled on to the next disaster.
(from Peter and the Test Tube Babies, Foot Full of Bullets)