Flying for the first time

Learning to drive, driving, and using public transport

Moderator: Moderator Team

james92
New member - welcome them!

Flying for the first time

Post by james92 »

Hi everyone,

I’m going to Chicago in a few weeks time and wondered if anyone had any advice for airports. My partner and I are flying from Heathrow to Vienna then onto O’Hare international, 13 hours and 3 airports to navigate - going to be interesting for my first flight!!

I’ve seen the sunflower lanyard scheme which Heathrow operates for people with hidden disabilities which I think is great.

Any advice on do’s, dont’s or maybes would be a great help. My to do list is very long........

Thank you :)
Tom fod
Administrator

Re: Flying for the first time

Post by Tom fod »

I theory I would guess your hold luggage bags should be transferred for you if you change planes

Presume you have completed online TSA ESTA. IIRC you still have to complete Green Landing card but not been to US for over 6yrs. Have details of where you're staying for CBP

I always make an itinerary for myself with Terminal details Flight nos etc look at elec noticeboards for gate number and time. Keep boarding pass and passport safe

Get to airport in plenty of time to go through security. There may be secondary check at Departure gate

O'Hare Not as big as some places I've flown into and transitted via it. Look at booking airport Shuttle bus ilnto town if not part of your package

Anything specific Happy to try to offer further advice if you have further qs

I imagine it will be cold there this time of year
Tom
Moderator/Administrator

With a foot full of bullets I tried to run faster but I just hobbled on to the next disaster.
(from Peter and the Test Tube Babies, Foot Full of Bullets)
james92
New member - welcome them!

Post by james92 »

Hi Tom,

Many thanks for that, you have made some good suggestions so will ensure these are added to my to do list :)
Andrew_S_Hatton
Power poster

Post by Andrew_S_Hatton »

Happy landings - it sounds exciting - I have only ever flown as far as Guernsey and Ireland and that was many years ago but overall an enjoyable experience that did not involve passports or secutity checks.

We get a lot of news about Stansted Airport on our local BBC News and recently I saw a report that showed that in spite of all the advance warninmgs about stuff folk cannot carry on to planes - they still collect binffulls of stuff every day that folk are obliged to abandon as they go through the barrier to board the planes